Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2012 14:00

Older XPS 630 conversion for rebuild

I have a 4 year old XPS 630 that Let out a death scream and died.  I would like to rebuild using the case, which is awesome IMO, but with an ASUS MB.  There are two issues I see and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions how to overcome them.  The first should be easy enough.  The chassis fan leads are too short.  If I can't find extender cables I can always lengthen the existing ones.  The second is more difficult.  Is there any way to use the existing control header cable, the one that goes to the power button, drive and power light, and internal speaker (which I can't find), or replace it with something else?  If I can do that then I'm in business.

14.4K Posts

October 10th, 2012 18:00

Dell interface connections are not documented. Especially on that series of system. You might be able to trace them out using  multimeter and a lot of patience.

11 Posts

October 11th, 2012 06:00

I considered tracing the connections but there is another issue.  There is a controller board that is in between the front panel and the MB.  I am not sure what purpose it serves but the chassis fans, USB connections, and external case lights are also connected to it. I would like to bypass that board altogether.  I have been rummaging through some of my old equipment to see if there's something I can scavenge.

11 Posts

November 20th, 2012 06:00

The saga continues.  I have attempted to build a new PC in the XPS chassis with no luck so far with the components listed below.  The only original component in the chassis is the power supply.  The original system had an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor.  I have returned two motherboards so far but am now concerned the original 730 watt power supply may not be compatible with the new ivy bridge processors.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  Could I have a bad processor?

The first MB would fire up the fans for a few seconds and then quit.  While active the fans would vary from high to low speed and back to high speed again and then the system would quit.  For the second MB absolutely nothing happens when I press the power switch.  If I push the button on the back of the existing power supply the fans activate as do the DVD drives and disk drive but no system or POST.

I have a new third MB still in the box and am somewhat gun shy about installing it until I rule out all possibilities.  Any help is appreciated.

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

ASUS P8Z77-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 17th, 2013 02:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.        

No Events found!