Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2013 12:00

One beep on power on

Newly received dell XPS8700 with Win8 updated to Win 8.1.....from the very 1st time I Powered it on out of the Box it has made ONE BEEP within seconds after I press the Power Button to turn it on.

I did some research on the Dell forum and found conflicting replies from the posters and Dell techs. Some say it's a normal POST beep, others say it's imminent main board failure, one customer even returned the computer due to the doubt.

My situation has changed somewhat, now suddenly, I don't get any beeps at all on power on. This new behavior has left me baffled at the least.

I would appreciate your comments.

Arturo

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 18th, 2013 13:00

Version of BIOS?

One single beep during POST is normal on the XPS 8700. If it were a diagnostic error beep, I believe you'd here one beep-pause-one beep-pause...

Have you installed any new hardware recently, changed BIOS settings or updated BIOS? 

Sometimes adding new hardware can suppress the normal POST beep.  As long as the system is working correctly, I don't think you have anything to worry about right now. And you do have a warranty if something does happen. :emotion-5: 

561 Posts

December 18th, 2013 14:00

I think the recent BIOS update to A06 removed the 1 beep on POST. I don't here it anymore either!

Roger1955

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 18th, 2013 18:00

I think the recent BIOS update to A06 removed the 1 beep on POST. I don't here it anymore either

Roger1955

That wouldn't surprise me at all because many users (and Dell Tech Support types) think the normal POST one-beep is actually the diagnostic one-beep meaning a hardware failure. So motherboards were getting replaced and systems returned unnecessarily.

Maybe they got smart and silenced the POST beep in A06. :emotion-5:

No Events found!