Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2014 14:00

OptiPlex 3020 - Windows Setup cannot install boot-critical drivers

I'm running into an issue with these new 3020 machines.  Whenever I attempt to install a different version of Windows, I get the error message "Windows setup cannot install boot-critical drivers".  I re-image all of the 3020 machines to Win7 Professional using an AutoUnattend.xml file.  Has anybody been able to figure out which drivers are needed in order to install a different version of Win7 without having to jump through hoops?

I am able to install Windows with no error messages if I run GParted on the disk first.  

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2014 17:00

Hi Storm311,

Did you see this Dell article?

5 Posts

April 4th, 2014 12:00

I never had this problem with the Optiplex 3010 machines.  My question now is, what did Dell change to break installations?  I can use GParted to delete everything on the disk and the install goes fine.  

5 Posts

April 4th, 2014 12:00

I have even tried with a basic Win7 disk with no better results.  I don't call out to a share that includes the drivers, they are all located on my installation media.  

Even with the standard Win7 ISO it's the same issue.  I can delete the Dell recovery partition and the installation goes fine, but I want to stay away from this process due to the number of machines we order and re-image for deployment.

5 Posts

April 4th, 2014 13:00

They don't come with Windows 8.  Windows 7 is the pre-installed operating system.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 4th, 2014 13:00

The change is the Windows 8 partition.  Windows 7 can't delete it.

If you started out with blank hard drives it would work fine.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 2nd, 2014 07:00

Starting on May 10th of 2011, Dell began shipping some configurations of Enterprise Client systems (Latitude, Optiplex, Precision) with Advanced Format (AF) hard drives.

Windows 7 RTM and SP1//WinPE 3.0 patch for AF support - This KB article was updated 4/28/2011 with a new version of the KB982018 patch- v3 which now applies to SP1 also.

Dell Advanced Format Detection Tool

F6 drivers are not optional.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-021701.htm

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 07:00

Hello Everyone,

so i just received my OS-less optiplex 3020 and as described above cannot install my genuine win7 x64.

It claims to miss some device driver.

Any solutions? i have no idea what driver should i provide and from where. drivers from Dell are all for after-OS-install stage.

Thanks, in advance. 

5 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 13:00

Hello Everyone,

so i just received my OS-less optiplex 3020 and as described above cannot install my genuine win7 x64.

It claims to miss some device driver.

Any solutions? i have no idea what driver should i provide and from where. drivers from Dell are all for after-OS-install stage.

Thanks, in advance. 

I did find one workaround that works for me.  The first time you image one of the Dell 3020 machines, use a USB formatted to boot with GParted (gparted.org).  When you boot in, delete all of the partitions and create a new NTFS partition using whatever space is necessary.

Once this is complete, shut down the computer and proceed with normal installation.  I have done this multiple times, and whatever Dell has on the drive is wiped out using this process.

No Events found!