Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 28th, 2014 04:00

OptiPlex 7010/7020 DisplayPort Audio

Hi All,

Does anyone know if OptiPlex 7010/7020's (with embedded Intel graphics) support audio over DisplayPort?

I'm looking to connect to a TV over HDMI using a DP to HDMI adaptor (that will handle DP audio itself) but want to know if the OptiPlex's are okay before potentially wasting any money.

TIA

29 Posts

July 29th, 2014 04:00

Okay, a successful update.

I've sourced and tried two different methods to connect an OptiPlex 7010 to an HDMI TV.  The first is by using this adaptor with a standard HDMI lead and then also with a bog-standard DP to HDMI cable.  Both work perfectly.  It's worth noting that neither the adaptor or DP to HDMI lead display a D++ logo.

The only thing worth mentioning is to make sure the TV's audio playback device is set as the default in Windows otherwise you won't here any audio at all.  On the Sony TV I used to test with it looks like this;

I'll be trying with an OptiPlex 7020 next when I take delivery of such a system in a few days time although I expect it to work also.

Long story short, try a simple DP to HDMI cable first and work from there.

29 Posts

July 28th, 2014 05:00

Thanks for your response Speedstep - is this from experience or is there some Dell documentation available(especially for the only just released 7020's) that confirms this?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Dell does not release schematics and pinouts and other specifications like this.  Audio over display port is not standard,  and Business Class systems do not have "home theater" features. In fact I am not aware of ANY vendor that offers this or ANY monitors that have speakers that support this.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

No it does not.

29 Posts

July 28th, 2014 06:00

Audio over DisplayPort is certainly supported and standard; http://www.displayport.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/DP-Audio-User-Guide-v1.pdf.  The question is whether Dell supports "DisplayPort audio and/or dual-mode [DP++] with audio" on their computers.

Businesses do have a need to output video and audio to big-screen HDMI TV's too.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 28th, 2014 07:00

Audio from Display port is OPTIONAL not standard.  Display port is not HDMI.  Digital Audio from HDMI ports is standard.

Again I am not aware of ANY vendors computers with a graphics output device (PC or laptop) that supports DisplayPort audio and/or dual-mode with audio. A Sink device (display/monitor) that supports DisplayPort audio playback or Computers that list this as a feature or being supported.

Audio signal: Optional; 1–8 channels, 16 or 24-bit linear pcm 32 to 192 KHz sampling rate; maximum bitrate 36,864 kbit/s (4.608 MB/s)

29 Posts

July 28th, 2014 07:00

So the question then becomes does Dell support the optional audio aspects of DisplayPort; let's not get bogged down with semantics please.

A quick internet search reveals many examples of people using DisplayPort to HDMI adaptors on their computers and successfully outputting video AND audio to their HDMI TVs.

I've taken the plunge and ordered a couple of such adaptors and will report back any findings.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 28th, 2014 10:00

Dell Chose the Option to NOT include this feature.

Hence the Display port does not have D++ Logo.

Answer Remains the Same Not supported not featured. Dual Mode Display port is not available.

29 Posts

July 29th, 2014 04:00

Okay, a successful update.

I've sourced and tried two different methods to connect an OptiPlex 7010 to an HDMI TV.  The first is by using this adaptor with a standard HDMI lead and then also with a bog-standard DP to HDMI cable.  Both work perfectly.  It's worth noting that neither the adaptor or DP to HDMI lead display a D++ logo.

The only other thing to mention is to make sure the TV's audio playback device is set as the default in Windows otherwise you won't here any audio at all.  On the Sony TV I used to test with it looks like this;

I'll be trying with an OptiPlex 7020 next when I take delivery of such a system in a few days time although I expect it to work also.

Long story short, try a simple DP to HDMI cable first and work from there.

Also, I've tried to mark this post as the answer but when I do the post itself completely disappears.  Must be a bug in the forum software.

No Events found!