Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

March 17th, 2013 19:00

OptiPlex 745 and Earthlink TotalAccess mail program problems

Hi all: Newbie here and not a computer techie, just a surfer.  I selected this forum because the other two choices were for Audio and Video and I don't have a problem connected with either.  I don't know if my problem has to do with hardware and after I describe what I'm experiencing perhaps one or more of you can suggest an appropriate forum.

I have an OptiPlex 745 and a GX620.  I bought the 620 after I experienced problems with the 745 resulting from Microsoft Update downloads.  Before that, though, a driver download from DELL rendered the computer useless so I had to reformat the hard drive and start all over.  Now, the 745 had to be retired because of MS updates and after reformatting the hard drive I had to put it aside and sell it on ebay and it was replaced with the 620 but that one also suffered from update downloads and no amount of reformatting brought it back to normal so I'm offering it on Craigslist and if it doesn't sell as FIX/PARTS it goes on the ebay auction block.

Now here's why I'm here hoping for positive results.  I use Earthlink TotalAccess - MailBox.  Never a problem and after reformatting they would install it with one or two techs telling me that the program was not compatible with MS Service Pack 3 (SP3) but after taking over my computer they installed it successfully.  A few days ago while shutting the 745 down I went to click on Turn Off when I saw a shield attached to the button.  I had selected that Microsoft do not download updates automatically and here they were doing it.  I got angry and clicked the turn off button without reading everything underneath which had a choice for turning off without downloading updates.  My angry haste resulted in the computer not starting up normally and nothing I clicked on opened especially the Earthlink icon which was my gateway to the web and my Google homepage.  Of course it resulted in yet another reformatting and a call to Earthlink.

This time a high-level Earthlink tech tried to help me but he had problems downloading TotalAccess and he made many trips all over the PC and, especially the Registry but could not download TotalAccess so that it was its old self.  He also claimed that SP3 was the culprit or one of them.  Before, when the PC started I would click on the Earthlink icon on my desktop screen, the sign-in popup appeared and Google would open with Earthlink in the background.

Now, once the desktop appears there is also a popup and I wait until the PC settles down before I click on the Yes button of the popup.  That popup is followed by 2 more before the PC automatically goes to Google with Earthlink behind it.

The 1st popup says: Sign-In - There aren't any locations configured on this computer. Would you like to add one now? YES/NO (I click YES)

The 2nd popup says: No Dial-up Hardware Found - Your computer does not have a modem with which to establish a dial-up connection. Please make sure that your dial-up modem is connected properly and try again. OK (I click OK)

The 3rd popup, an Earthlink popup, says: Connection Type - How will you be connecting to Earthlink: Dial-up with Earthlink [Modem with 28.8, 56k, etc.] - Home Office/Networking [LAN, Router, etc.] (The Dial-up is checked but I uncheck it by checking Lan... since my connection is through Time Warner Cable)

The 2nd and last Earthlink popup says: Click the Finish button to create your new connection. - LAN [7] - Broadcom NetXetrme 57xx Gigabit Controller - Home/Office Network (I click on Finish)

After clicking on Finish, for one second another popup appears and this is the old Sign-in popup that now says "Work Offline".  The old form of this popup did not say "Work Offline".  After I clicked on Sign In it would open my Google homepage with Earthlink at the top and which allows me to go to my TotalAccess MailBox.

I had to describe each popup because I do not see a link to uploading images.  But from what I've described, can anyone offer a fix?  All help will be appreciated as I don't feel like reformatting the 745 again and maybe endup with the same problem that Earthlink doesn't seem to fix in order for me to have my old Sign-in process.

In your replies, please do not treat me harshly as I've suffered enough handling 2 computers and what seems like thousands of Microsoft Windows updates with some taking forever to download and install.

I'm going to be 75 on Monday (18th) and I've reached the end of my line with computers that do not have the ability to self-diagnose and try to control me instead of me controlling them.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 17th, 2013 19:00

it was replaced with the 620 but that one also suffered from update downloads and no amount of reformatting brought it back to normal so I'm offering it on Craigslist and if it doesn't sell as FIX/PARTS it goes on the ebay auction block.

I have a GX620 configured with Windows 8 64-bit and Microsoft Updates install without issue. Before selling yours, I suggest you consider Windows 7 or 8, which should eliminate your update issues. As for email software, consider Windows Live Mail, which is offered free for legitimate Windows 7 or 8 installations.

Here is a Windows 8 Professional Upgrade for $95.49. Unlike the preinstalled versions, this one comes with an install DVD.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 17th, 2013 21:00

I have a collection of PCs, but I've retired Windows XP on all but one of them, thus I'm not of much help. As for Earthlink, I'd think their proprietary application could be replaced with something more general-purpose, like Windows Live Mail or Outlook Express.

The GX620 has been end-of-life for a number of years, so I'd be surprised if Dell offered any new drivers for it. Once XP is installed and configured, the only updates needed should be from Microsoft.

The best advice I can give with regards to driver-based boot failures is to select F8 at Windows boot and then select "last known good mode."

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

March 17th, 2013 21:00

Thanks for the suggestions. Windows 8 looms in our future but we've been using Windows XP since its inception and it's part of our lives. While updates and installations are time consuming, they never resulted in the kind of problems I've experienced lately.  Remember, I state that I had problems with a download from DELL.  Not being computer savvy is a hindrance when one does "self-medicating" as far as downloading software one is not familiar with. As for another mail system my wife is leaning towards Road Runner.  My 745, Earthlink, and Microsoft were running smooth until this last mishap.  Even when the 620 was running smooth, I longed for the 745.

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

March 18th, 2013 00:00

Thanks. I like WinXP and Earthlink, they're user-friendly and replacements require a "curve-learn" and right now my 745 is working satisfactorily so I don't want to mess with it anymore.  I would like to find a tech that could diagnose it but short of that I've accepted the problematic sign in.  I'm just trying to see if anyone recognizes what is wrong from my description and can offer a step-by-step fix I can perform.

The 620 is up for sale on Craigslist and I've gotten a couple of offers, too low to accept.  It would be up to the buyer to correct whatever is wrong with it, I'm done with it.  Foolishly, in Dec. 2012 I paid $160 and now I'm being offered $50!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 18th, 2013 08:00

Refirb 620's are $99 or less in many places. $160 would be one with oem Windows 7 Home.

No Events found!