Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 6th, 2013 15:00

OptiPlex 980 MT - amber error code 134

Good evening. I'm sure it's dead, but I'll give it a go....

I have amber error lights showing steady 134 at the front of the tower. I've removed the memory chips one at a time and tried booting with one, then the other, and with no memory. And finally back again with both chips seated back in their slots. Same code of 134 all the time. And it doesn't boot at all.

Is it dead? It's bank holiday and after hours. You are my only hope guys, otherwise it's chat to Dell at 8am.

Hope the weather is good wherever you are.

7 Posts

May 7th, 2013 02:00

Bev

OK, the problem has now been fixed.

I rang Dell support this morning and was talked through it all. I was told to remove all leads including k/b, mouse and the monitor and the power lead, then discharge the residual power. That was pretty much as you described except that reading again what you said above I didn't follow correctly what you had said.

Anyway I was then told to plug power lead in and boot the computer with nothing else attached. And it seemed to be booting as normal. I was then told to plug in the monitor and k/b and mouse and login as normal.

I then restarted and logged in as normal. Job done. I was told it was a "static problem".

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

errorcode

Diagnostic Lights error code 134 does not seem to be listed.

What is the colour of the power button LED and is it solid, or blinking?

Are there any 'Beeps'?

The OptiPlex 980 MT Service Manual, Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Codes, are here in PDF form:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-980_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Bev I've [Admin Note: TOU Violation Removed] and I appear to a combination of error code 1 and 34. Seems to be double memory module failure. Unlikely, I think.

errorcode

That error code is not listed, memory issues usually have 34 error code, there is no1

Bev.

7 Posts

It's definitely blue. We have two of those computers and I'm using the working one to use the forum. I'll try what you suggested.

Many thanks for you patience and help.

7 Posts

Bev

No beeps, power light is steady (solid) blue.

7 Posts

Bev

I've [Admin Note: TOU Violation Removed] and I appear to a combination of error code 1 and 34. Seems to be double memory module failure. Unlikely, I think.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Bev

No beeps, power light is steady (solid) blue.

errorcode

The OptiPlex 980 MT power button LED, is either Solid GREEN, blinking GREEN, solid AMBER, blinking AMBER, or OFF, BLUE is not listed as a colour.

As there are no beeps, it could be a motherboard issue.

You could try the following, if you are comfortable working around computers:

Disconnect the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died.

Bev.

7 Posts

It's dead. There are no peripherals as most of the stuff is integrated into the board. No video or sound card to upset things.

Thanks again.

7 Posts

May 6th, 2013 16:00

Error code 1 is "no memory modules detected" according to manual; error code 34 is "memory failure has occurred". I'll talk to Dell in the morning. Thanks again :)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 7th, 2013 07:00

errorcode

Glad to hear the issue is resolved and I appreciate the heads up.

Bev.

1 Message

February 17th, 2015 05:00

This worked for me also. Thanks!

1 Message

January 5th, 2016 20:00

I had a client with this exact model of Optiplex and the identical POST codes (1, 3 and 4) plus the blue power button. The steps worked perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to document this!

No Events found!