Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2016 17:00

Optiplex 360 won't boot

This just happened.  Happily using my (old) Optiplex 360.  Suddenly I get the dreaded Blue Screen of Death.  Sadly, I did not note any of the error messages there.  I turned off the drive.  Left it for several minutes.  Push the button for re-start.  I can hear the drive powering up.  Some green lights come on.  Two beeps.  But nothing on the monitor.  Monitor says "No Input", goes to sleep.

I'm desperate for any suggestions anyone might have!

Thanks very much!

Peter

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 22nd, 2016 11:00

Beep codes on the 360 come in groups of 3, eg: 2 beeps-pause-1 beep-pause-2 beeps. So listen closely and count the beeps again.  Beep codes 1-3-1 through 2-4-4 are all memory errors. So if the beep code is really 2-2-2, that's a RAM problem. You can look them up in the manual.

And look up the LED diagnostics codes in the manual too.  Make sure you look at the 4 LEDs and the color of the power button and if it's steady or blinking, so you look up the right code.

That may point you in the right direction... 

5 Posts

December 26th, 2016 19:00

Sounds like the master boot record took a hit.  It could happen with any OS.   Your 'puter is old.  Why not use this as an excuse to buy a new, larger HD and reinstall Windows?  That is if you prefer Windows.  There are other systems that are free.

No Events found!