Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2015 02:00

Optiplex 7040 - Boot problems when using Displyport only

Hi there,

I'm getting a "no boot devices found" error if I' connect my monitor via a Displayport cable instead of HDMI cable.

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks
Juergen 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 18th, 2015 10:00

What version of BIOS?

4 Posts

December 18th, 2015 14:00

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 18th, 2015 17:00

That appears to be the latest.

I'll ping my Dell tech contacts...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 18th, 2015 17:00

BTW:

What form factor 7040?

Are you connecting to onboard video outputs or to add-in video card? If you have an add-in video card, the first monitor probably has to be connected to the card.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 18th, 2015 20:00

A monitor should never be interpreted by the operating system as a boot device? Are you connecting a single monitor or dual monitors? What specific monitor model? Which chassis?

4 Posts

December 19th, 2015 02:00

Dear all,

its a Optiplex Mini-Tower that has only onboard Intel graphic (1x HDMI, 2x DP) connected to a Dell U3415W.

But I cant't use HDMI because the monitor provides one HDMI connector which is used by another PC.

I suppose its a problem with BIOS and PCI interrupts that are twice taken if you connect DP only.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 19th, 2015 11:00

Do you get the error when the monitor is connected to the 7040 via DP but the monitor is not connected to the HDMI cable?

In other words, is the 7040 detecting the other PC's video card through the HDMI connection, even if the other PC is off?

You may need a KVM switch which allows you to share monitor, keyboard and mouse between two PCs...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 19th, 2015 16:00

* Turn the U3415W, Optiplex, and the other computer off
* Disconnect the HDMI cable from the U3415W
* Connect only the DP (DisplayPort) from the Optiplex to the U3415W
* Turn the U3415W on, then the Optiplex

4 Posts

December 20th, 2015 01:00

I did that and sometimes it seems to work.

But after a complete powercyle it seems fo fail. The only workaround to made it to work again, is to connect Optiplex via HDMI to the monitor.

As this is in a business environent its a no go solution.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 20th, 2015 13:00

Per the warranty, you may initiate a monitor exchange. Test the replacement before sending any monitor back to Dell. If the replacement does not have the issue, keep it and send us the original. If the replacement has the SAME issue, the monitors were not at fault. Send the replacement back to Dell. Look to the computer operating system drivers or hardware as the culprit.

April 28th, 2016 13:00

We have the SFF Dell Optiplex 7040's. We have the latest BIOS and Display graphics drivers installed on the 7040. We only have a few installed so far, throughout the company. We are seeing the display driver appears to crash, causing both displays to go into low resolution mode. In order to resolve this, we either have to log out of the active session, or reboot the computer; it's random. Have you had anyone else report this problem? We have only deployed about 8 of the SFF 7040's so far. We have the 7010's, 7020's installed throughout the company using a combination of the display/DVI or VGA without a problem. Please advise?

Thank you,

John

April 29th, 2016 08:00

Yes I have the same problem with an Optiplex 7040 mini tower. the displayports will not run a monitor correctly. I have spoken to dell technical support and they say this is because there are no drivers for the new displayport 1.2 on the Optiplex. We have tried downloading the drivers directly from intel and this has not solved the problem. Currently trying to get through to Dell customer support for a fix or refund.

Dell tried replacing the motherboard then told me it was a driver problem. Tried to blame it on AOC monitors then admitted that only a few dell display port monitors actually work with the Optiplex.

1 Message

May 25th, 2016 19:00

I have a similar issue. I have the 7040 Mini Tower. I am using both display ports. The cable is display port to mini display port. Sometimes a single screen will go black and does not come back until both screens are power cycled or unplugged from the computer. Also we get fuzzy lines across some screens. I have not been able to pinpoint if it is a specific port. I have the latest bios update 1.2.8. I tried downloading the lasted drivers from Dells website but they are only for the 32bit version. I did find an update by doing the Windows driver update but that has not resolved the issue. Additionally. I have some of these computers connecting to monitors with DVI using a display port to DVI conversion dongle and those are not having any issues. I thought the problem was my monitors but now I see its the video card.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 26th, 2016 12:00

I see 64-bit drivers for Win 7, 8.1 and Win 10 listed on the support page for the 7040. The support site defaults to the OS running on the PC being used to look for drivers, so you have to select the correct OS at the top of the Drivers screen first.

And if you have BIOS 1.2.8, do you also have the latest 64-bit Intel Graphics driver? There appears to be a conflict between BIOS 1.2.8 and Intel Graphics drives prior to 10.18.15.4279 which causes blurry screens.  

No Events found!