Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 24th, 2012 05:00

Optiplex 745 Blinking Orange Power Light

Hello everyone this is my first post here. I own a dell optiplex 745 with a core2duo 1.8 Ghz processor, 2 gb RAM and have also added an XFX HD 5550 to it. I have been using it since almost two years, and it hasn't caused me many problems except this blinking orange power light.

The problem is just this that the desktop just won't start. All that happens is that the power light just blinks orange. This has happened to it almost four times in the last two years, and the problem has seemingly resolved itself the last four times. Well it would go something like this: I would turn off the PC normally, and the next time i started it all i would get is this blinking light. Then after a couple of days or hours, I would try again and it work as if nothing had happened. But this time it happened four days ago. I turned it off, then switched it on but i got the orange light. Since then, I have tried so many times but this time I fear something much bigger has happened.

Now I have done a decent amount of work in trying to figure out whats the problem. The key thing to note is that its not my PSU (yes i used a different one). Does this mean it's my motherboard which is causing the problem? Or is it something else?

I did a bit of digging up on the internet for the same problem, and I saw one which said something about a faulty power on button       http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the-Dell-OLOD-Orange-Light-Of-Death/ 

I havent tried it but I would like some views on this from people here....

Also I found another one which says the problem is caused by faulty capacitors on the motherboard, and they said to just change them, but when I checked the motherboard, there weren't any with bulges on top or any liquid coming out of them etc   http://www.ccl-la.com/blog/index.php/dell-optiplex-745-repair/

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 24th, 2012 07:00

According to the Dell manual this is either a power supply or motherboard problem.  It doesn't detail how to further troubleshoot.

Do you get any diagnostic lights? or beeps when you power it on.

But, you can remove the video card to see if the symptom changes.  If not, reseat the memory as a next step.

If neither of these help you are back to either the replacement power supply or a motherboard problem.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 26th, 2012 04:00

Based on the Dell description for the indication you are getting, if its not the power supply then its the motherboard.  Unfortunately the only to test the motherboard is to replace it with a known good one.

10 Posts

June 24th, 2012 09:00

Ah forgot to mention it...

I have already been there done that. My memory's fine and so is my card and Power supply. I have checked all three. And they are all working fine. No beeps or sounds either. I should probably add that the motherboard light does glow. Which makes me confused as to the problem.

If it is the board, then what do you recommend I do?

10 Posts

June 26th, 2012 00:00

BUMP?

10 Posts

June 26th, 2012 04:00

OK so I got it checked and yeah its the motherboard.....

Thanks for the info..

April 3rd, 2013 07:00

From what I have read it can be 2 problmes. 1st it can be a mother bored, 2nd powersupplie.

1st Motherbord: When was the last time you opened if and use comperssed air inside to blow out any dust? Dust can affect how the computer runs.

2nd Power Supplie: I have read that the power supplie 5v power conecter can be to blame. I service computers and I have seen this but i usally just replace the power supplie. But to do that you need to find out how much voltage the power supplie and possilby go buy one i have done that before.

Those are your best bets and if you need any help Youtube maybe your best bet to show you how to do it.

1 Message

September 30th, 2014 09:00

Hope this helps someone... For us it was the power-usb-i/o board. It was NOT the mobo or power supply. I bought a replacement oem board for 7.99 free shipping from red planet trading (which I have purchased several out of warranty Dell parts). No more solid orange light, problem solved.

November 29th, 2014 19:00

chek your ps-on lead(green color ) voltages that must be +5v if it is less then amber light remain on and system not working . if this is the problem then replace suitable power supply to resolve the issue.

November 29th, 2014 19:00

change your power supply.

1 Message

December 4th, 2014 13:00

This just happened to me, and I didn't see it the first time, but this power supply has a little breaker on the back that pops out a little bit. Push it back it and that might fix this issue, it fixed my issue.

1 Message

March 6th, 2015 04:00

Hi!

99% - broken capacitors in PSU.

Good luck.

June 30th, 2015 11:00

My Dell XPS 710 sometimes get blinking amber power light and refuses to turn back on.  My temporary fix is to unplug the power cord that goes into the PSU and wait for 15 minutes, perhaps discharging the capacitors within PSU.  Then computer would be able to turn back on again.

Already ordered a replacement PSU and will see if it fixes the problem.  Will try to search for defective capacitors within the old PSU.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 2nd, 2015 10:00

Power supplies are not user serviceable parts.  If you are not careful the capacitors inside the unit can kill you.:emotion-3:

July 6th, 2015 00:00

New PSU fixed the issue.  Carefully opened up the old PSU.  Took photos.  Did not notice any obvious broken components that may have caused the issue at the first place.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 6th, 2015 03:00

If power supplies never failed they would be welded in.  

Hard drives,  Power Supplies, Video Cards, die.

They have so many hours on them.  So if they are used 2 minutes a day they might last 50 years. But if they are used 24 hours a day in a hot environment they might die in 1 year.  This is why computer data centers keep the temp at 65 all year long.

No Events found!