Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2010 11:00

Optiplex 745 graphics problem

I have an optiplex 745.  It started giving me black screens, sometimes, white, blue, green red, - like the graphics test screen colours.

I have ran the dell diag an this has reported no problems.

I've formated the HD, reinstalled Windows xp, and installed all the drivers, but the same thing happens.

Formatted the HD again, installed the Desktop system, chipset, then went to install the graphics driver, but the screen goes blank.

the machine will work perfect in safe mode,.  If i remove the Intel graphics controller drivers the machine will boot normally.

As soon as I install the Intel q963/q965/g965 graphics driver, the machine stops working.

The screen goes blank and they only way to restore it is to hold the power button for approx 10 seconds.

There are no errors in the event viewer.

It looks like there is an issue with the graphics driver, but how do i resolve it?

thanks

13 Posts

August 4th, 2010 09:00

I'm having exactly the same issue!

Optiplex 745, Fully updated Windows XP SP3, download intel driver from dell, install, restart, windows hangs within a couple of seconds of user logging in.

If I go to safe mode or uninstall driver and boot normal problem disapears.

I've also seen another thread with someone asking dell to update this outdated intel driver.

13 Posts

August 10th, 2010 09:00

so no one is responding.

I did notice this:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=RC956904&docid=1A0C0937D62A8739E0401E0A55174744&l=en&s=hied

I'll try to remove all drivers and then reinstall them in that order (what a PIA)

7 Posts

August 12th, 2010 12:00

One of my users had this same problem develop around the beginning of August.  I worked on the machine for three days before I found the solution.  The problem started with screen freezes and total machine lockups, then progressed to periodic screen blackouts / failure to finish booting, before getting to the point that every attempt to boot into regular Windows resulted in a solid or flashing block of color on the screen.

We suspected the problem was linked to the video card.  This computer had an NVIDIA GeForce 7950 installed and wasn't using the onboard video controller.  I removed the NVIDIA card at the start of troubleshooting, but the problem continued to get worse.  I thought there were driver problems, so I ran through several remove/reinstall sequences in safe mode.  The computer always booted fine in safe mode then failed in regular Windows.  The logon screen would appear, but as soon as I pressed CTRL+ALT+Delete the color blocks would appear and I'd have to reboot. 

After a few rounds of driver changes, I noticed that the machine would work fine if the Intel graphics driver was removed but then failed as soon as Windows detected the onboard video card and reinstalled the driver.  I searched online, found this thread, and saw that others had recently had this problem.

I reinstalled the NVIDIA card, went into BIOS Setup, and checked the video settings.  The system was set to AUTO video, which I suspect is the default setting.  I changed it to ONBOARD/CARD.  The name is misleading, but if you read the description of the setting it says that will disable the onboard video card and use the additional video card you have installed.

Once I changed that setting and rebooted, the computer was fine.  I updated the NVIDIA drivers, rebooted several times, and did some other work with it.  The machine is working normally once more.  The Intel graphics card doesn't appear in Windows Device Manager.

13 Posts

August 12th, 2010 13:00

^sounds like your issue is different because we are using the onboard video card. Also our crashes comes only after the log on, not during

13 Posts

August 12th, 2010 13:00

Anyone know how to clear out all dell drivers??

I try to install the first thing on the driver install list (DSS) and install fails with the error "application cannot be installed on this system!"

Tried the safe mode - same error. And yes I made sure I downloaded Windows XP DSS driver

I'm begging to hate dell. :emotion-12:

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 16th, 2010 07:00

What drivers do you want to remove?

13 Posts

September 7th, 2010 09:00

Video drivers.

Just to update -

1. I clean installed XP Sp3 from Dell CD (blue one)

2. I then installed drivers directly from dell.com specifically for this pc (by tag)

A. DSS install, restart

B. Chipset install, restart.

C. Audio install, restart

D. Video install (intel driver), restart ..... purple screen a few seconds after auto-login of default user (though it is different color everytime pc hangs).

7 Posts

September 13th, 2010 10:00

Has anyone else installed an additional graphics card and disabled the onboard card in the BIOS?  I described that process in my earlier post.  If so, did it fix the problem? 

6 Posts

September 13th, 2010 10:00

I am very interested in a solution to this problem.  Especially since 95% of all lab computers in my school district are Optiplex 745s.  I'm only seeing this problem with three workstations at the moment, but I get a little worried when my Dells start to develop board problems.  Normally I would just replace the board, but they just went out of warranty this summer.

My troubleshooting steps so far:

Wipe and reimage with a known good image (base + office).

Disabled SATA1 -reboot.  Worked for about 15 minutes then crashed again.

Booted with no USB devices plugged in (no Keyboard/mouse) system crashed after auto login.

Workstation runs great under Safe mode or VGA mode.  Obviously this is unacceptable.

13 Posts

September 13th, 2010 16:00

I'm sure that would fix it - but buying another video card is last resort

13 Posts

September 13th, 2010 16:00

I am very interested in a solution to this problem.  Especially since 95% of all lab computers in my school district are Optiplex 745s.  I'm only seeing this problem with three workstations at the moment, but I get a little worried when my Dells start to develop board problems.  Normally I would just replace the board, but they just went out of warranty this summer.

My troubleshooting steps so far:

Wipe and reimage with a known good image (base + office).

Disabled SATA1 -reboot.  Worked for about 15 minutes then crashed again.

Booted with no USB devices plugged in (no Keyboard/mouse) system crashed after auto login.

Workstation runs great under Safe mode or VGA mode.  Obviously this is unacceptable.

I'll try to minimize video card hardware acceleration (windows XP has that setting somewhere I remember) and see what happens tomorrow.

BTW are you also having the problem where pc crashes a few momnets after user log on in regular mode?

6 Posts

September 14th, 2010 11:00

Within a few seconds after login, the PC will blank to a solid color screen.  No response whatsoever.

6 Posts

September 14th, 2010 11:00

OK...  I'm sure that the second I say this out loud all of my 745s are going to start to crash, but doesn't this look like the start of the 270 issue all over again?  I'm going to contact my Dell rep.

5 Posts

September 14th, 2010 15:00

Hello,

Our first post about this was deleted by Dell because we linked to our site.  Here is the information you need without the site link.

What we have been noticing is capacitors on the motherboard failing and causing this problem. We have been repairing many systems for the Federal Bureau of Prisons that have the exact issues you are describing that have failed caps on the board and after replacing the parts that systems work just fine with the original drivers still installed. Check you motherboards for the bad caps, you can do a google search for "Dell Optiplex 745 repair" to find many pages about this issue.

<ADMIN NOTE:Email Id removed per privacy policy>

13 Posts

September 15th, 2010 10:00

Great stuff - thank you!

This transistor replacement fix is somewhat labor intensive, so I'll just order some cheapo low profile video cards for a fix.

No Events found!