Optiplex 755 Rear Fan Failure

Get an error on boot "Alert - Rear Fan Failure".  Any ideas as to what the cuase is?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
shesagordie
Diamond

Re: Optiplex 755 Rear Fan Failure

Get an error on boot "Alert - Rear Fan Failure".  Any ideas as to what the cuase is?

Jeremy Bentham

Have you replaced the fan recently?

Maybe power supply is not properly connected to the motherboard, fan has a dust buildup that it stops rotating properly, fan burnt out.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos

I don't have a fan on this machine since it is the smaller form factor.  The only fan is the fan on the power supply.  Does the power supply need to be replaced?

0 Kudos
shesagordie
Diamond

Jeremy Bentham

The small form factor system has a hard drive fan at the back of the case, see HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
charlescoke
Copper

Replace the fan. It is cheap and easy.

0 Kudos
charlescoke
Copper

My 755 has 3 fans. 1 on front, 1 at he power supply in back and 1 on the hard drive. Take the side cover off and you can see 2 of the fans. Run the diagnostics and see what it tells you. The hard part is finding a supplier.

0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

Replacing a Hard Drive Fan

1. Follow the procedures in <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

2. Remove the computer cover (see Removing the Computer Cover). <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> 

3. Remove the hard drive (see <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

4. Turn the hard drive upside down, so that the hard drive fan is visible in the bottom of the drive bracket. 

5. To remove the hard drive fan: 

1. Lift the release tab on the back panel of the fan. 

1. Rotate the fan in the opposite direction from that indicated by the arrow on the back panel of the fan. 

2. Lift to remove the fan and its back panel from the hard drive bracket. 

1. Follow the instructions in <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

2. Remove the hard drive (see Hard Drive).

3. Remove the hard drive fan:

1. Remove the screw that secures the fan release tab to the hard drive bracket.

1. Press down on the fan release tab, and then slide the fan towards the front of the computer so that its side tabs are free of the corresponding slots in the hard drive bracket.

2. Lift to remove the fan from the hard drive bracket.

3. Unplug the fan.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

eMicros
Bronze

Sorry to piggy back on this, I'll create a new thread if required.

I have the same issue with an Optiplex 755, but it was brought about by upgrading it.

It had XP and a P4 in it, and I wanted to upgrade it to WIn7.

So, I installed a spare dual core CPU I had and installed Win7 on it.

Firstly it complained that the CPU was unsupported, during bootup, although it worked and

Win7 recognised it just fine. But to overcome the annoying message, I upgraded the BIOS to the latest

available on Dell's download site. Now I get an even more annnoying message, with it telling me

"Alert! Rear fan failure ...". But there is no rear fan (hard drive fan) on this , its the ultra small form factor.

The plastic hard drive tray does not have the fan on it, nor has it ever had the fan on it.

But now I get this error every time I restart and I have to press F1 to boot. I need this PC to auto on after a power cut,

but it won't as it wants F1 pressed. I cannot find any way to disable this error. I don't have a fan! It worked fine under old BIOS.

Grrr ... any ideas chaps?

0 Kudos

Hi eMicros,

In this case, I have to say that the updated BIOS you have installed is working as designed. If the Optiplex 755 USFF you have doesn't have a hard drive fan, then you will get this error appearing on screen and there is no option in the BIOS to disable this. Please see the manual for confirmation that this system should have a hard drive fan:  <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

To resolve this, you'd have to install the hard drive fan - Dell part number HK253.

John C
Dell | Social Outreach Services

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

speedstep
Diamond

The USFF has a fan under the hard drive.

USFF Hard Drive Fan Hk120

1. Follow the instructions in Before You Begin. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

2. Remove the hard drive (see Hard Drive).

3. Remove the hard drive fan:

1. Remove the screw that secures the fan release tab to the hard drive bracket.

1. Press down on the fan release tab, and then slide the fan towards the front of the computer so that its side tabs are free of the corresponding slots in the hard drive bracket.

2. Lift to remove the fan from the hard drive bracket.

3. Unplug the fan.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos