Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2015 23:00

Optiplex 755 boot issue (video)

Howdy all!

I just picked up a Dell Optiplex 755 DFF (for someone else).  I installed an Nvidia GeForce 610 graphics card into the PCIe slot.  It started up fine the next time around and I was able to install the Nvidia drivers and software.

The PC has been behaving strangely ever since. Sometimes it will boot up just fine.  Other times it will boot up only to the vBIOS screen, which comes on before the Dell splash screen.  It will then stay on the vBIOS screen and not proceed to POST.  The attached screen is what comes up when powering on and what the system gets stuck at.  I tested the card in another PC for a few days.  Over a dozen start ups and did not get stuck once.  I ran with the 755's iGPU at the same time, it booted up without issue as well, no sticking.

So I know it's an issue between the card and the system.  Just not sure what.  I know the card vBIOS is up to date, and am almost sure the system BIOS is current at version A22. 

Since this occurs randomly, yet frequently, I am at a loss of what could be a possible cause.  Any suggestions?

1 Attachment

1.2K Posts

September 4th, 2015 12:00

Hi ,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum .

I would ask you to try these steps and advise the result ,

*Since this is intermittent issue initiate dell diagnostics on the system and advise the result .

Also send the service tag of the system via private message so that I can check system specifications to assist you further .

Kind Regards,

3 Posts

September 4th, 2015 22:00

Thank you for your reply.  The system diagnostic did help.  It specified an error with a memory module.  I checked each RAM DIMM individually and one tested as bad.  

The boot issue has not returned since I removed the faulty DIMM.  Will reply back if it does.

1.2K Posts

September 7th, 2015 12:00

Hi ,

Thank you for the reply ! Kindly send the service tag of the system ,along with your name ,contact no ,email address along with your physical address(via private message ) so that I can check the system's warranty so that I can assist you with part replacement .

Regards,

3 Posts

September 9th, 2015 04:00

That won't be necessary.  The original reply assisted me with isolating the issue: a faulty RAM module, which the retailer replaced at no charge.  I will reply back if I require more assistance.  Thank you for your time. 

1.2K Posts

September 9th, 2015 06:00

Hi ,

Thank you for the reply ! If there are any other queries do reply to the post .

Regards,

No Events found!