Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 13th, 2009 16:00

Optiplex 755 dead after incomplete bios update.

Hello to all, this is my first post in this community.

I have a big problem, dell optiplex 755 was updating bios when power was suddenly interrupted before the process have finished. Now i have a desktop that doesn't boot, doesn't show anything on screen obviously because of flashing process incomplete.

I have opened case and found in motherboard a jumper called "Service", i discovered that if i put a closer on it the machine boot properly, but always halt with an on-screen error that "Service mode jumper is installed! Press F1 to .... F2 to .... or F5 to run diag"

I tried to launch bios upgrader again while in "service mode" process finish with a "Bios succesfully updated" but when i remove the Service mode Jumper the desktop is still dead, it seems there are two copies of the bios in flash and i can only update now the one that runs in "service mode"

How can i bring my optiplex 755 back to life without the need of the "Service mode jumper" to be installed?

Thanks in advance.

CamiloML

1 Message

October 5th, 2012 08:00

Ahh,

I have seen this one before. It is obviously an issue. Someone apparently put a jumper on "Service" on the Mobo by mistake. It will appear in startup screen.

That jumper does not belong there in first place. Normally, there is a jumper placement on the "Password", which is standard default for all Dell's motherboards.

Maybe someone misplaced that jumper to that service, which is common of technical or human errors.

Then I have encountered a machine at the school. I knew instantly. Opened inside and found out someone put a jumper on it. I was saying "DUH" whoever did it. I simply put it back to "PSWD". Rebooting the machine, there is no error or alert message at startup.

Eldon

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 13th, 2009 18:00

CamiloMl

Try removing the CMOS battery on the motherboard, wait 30+- minutes, replace it and see if the PC starts.

If this does not fix the problem, then the only typical remedy is to replace the motherboard.

Bev.

3 Posts

October 14th, 2009 02:00

Well as i've said the PC boots ok if the service mode jumper is installed, so the motherboard is not completely dead.

Before taking any expensive solution (aka mobo replace) i first want to know if exists any recovery procedure for bad flashing, many BIOSes have, i just wanted to know if this one have also and how to make it work. It's phoenix bios and its rev is A15.

If the PC boots service mode, then it can be possible to restore to original state, which is, if not, the reason for the service mode to exist???

Come on guys, give me a clue on how to fully revive this desktop.

Thanks in advance ;)

CamiloML

2 Posts

November 5th, 2009 23:00

Camilo-  Have you had any luck fixing this?

I have the exact same problem here:  Opti 755 no boot after bios upgrade

I tried the same thing, even installing several previous bios versions.

I cant boot up without the service mode jumper.   The stupid bios upgrade screwed my machine.  There has to be some tool that dell has to fix it.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 6th, 2009 06:00

modmech

There are no 'Tools' available for a bad/failed BIOS flash, if you have a Dell warranty in effect on the Optiplex 775, you could contact Dell's Technical Support for a replacement motherboard.

Bev.

3 Posts

November 11th, 2009 03:00

Technician arrived and changed my motherboard, but before replace we noticed that removing the DIMM in the slot 1 made the machine boot without the service mode jumper.

Maybe flashng the oldest bios you can get may solve the problem, cause the flash update proceess seems to have 2 parts, one flashing the firmware and the other is flashing MEBM, if the last process get interrupted you suffer this No boot problem.

Trying to flash again same version does not update MBEM so trying oldest firmware update may flash this zone to match the old firmware.

Good luck.

2 Posts

November 13th, 2009 09:00

Called Dell Warranty Dept as suggested and the tech came and replaced the motherboard.  Everything is back to normal. 

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 13th, 2009 10:00

Called Dell Warranty Dept as suggested and the tech came and replaced the motherboard.  Everything is back to normal. 

Thanks

modmech

Happy to hear the BIOS problem is resolved.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 22nd, 2014 15:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

1 Message

June 22nd, 2014 15:00

So um, 

I went a bit further on the issue with the BIOS update to A22, & the system not booting.  I removed the dimm in slot 1, & the system started, but gave a mem config error on start up.  I was able to get into windows from this point.    I then took the module from slot two, & placed it in slot 1.  The system booted normally with no errors.  The system ran fine.  I then took the memory module which was originally in slot 1 & put it into 2.  The system would not start.  I then looked at the modules for differences.  The module that works is Samsung 1GB 2Rx8 PC2-5300U 555-12-E3, the one that does not is ELPIDA 1GB 1Rx8 PC2-5300U-555.  I am ordering 2 more of the working modules for my winXP installation on my new Samsung 840SSD.  Hope this helps.  It seems that there may be a hardware conflict with one of the memory modules used, & the bios update.  My system is running fine now.

No Events found!