Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2011 06:00

Optiplex 755 memory parity error

For over a year I have owned tower version of the Optiplex 755. Normally no problems at all. The PC runs XP Pro SP3 an all bios and driver updates are up to date. However I do have a nagging issue and Dell support could not solve it but now my warranty has expired.

The problem is that if I install a PCI card, then although the card appears to work fine, if I then hibernate the machine, it appears to shut down but then crashes with a blue screen with "memory parity error - contact your hardware vendor".

I have had loads of advice and have already reinstalled a new HD, rebuilt OS, changed the memory sims, cleaned the pc in and out, upgraded all drivers and the bios but all to no avail. The problem is not with a particular PCI card but when I put ANY pci card in. (firewire, USB expansion etc) I have even rebuilt the machine and tried the cards with only the OS loaded and it still does the same!

In the end I assumed I had a bad MOBO but recently acquired another identical machine and thought I would see if the problem happens on that too - AND IT DOES -  Agggg.

The only thing I have not changed is the OS itself - I am using XP on both machines albeit one version is Spanish and the other English.

On one machine I also installed a new graphics card for my son to play games and the fault it just the same - ie without PCI cards it is fine - with PCI cards is throws the error.

Has anyone else had this issue? - and if so did they solve it? It is now clear to me its not just "my" setup or my cards (as they all work on other machines just fine as they do on the 755s).  The PC is fine without the cards in and even with them in works fine apart from the crash on hibernating.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 26th, 2011 06:00

Newer Dells Like the 755 use PCI 2.3 slots.

That means that 5V cards with only 1 Keyway are not supported.

There is no fix for that.

PCI 2.2 or 2.3 cards can operate at 3.3v without issue.

19 Posts

May 26th, 2011 08:00

Ok that seems reasonable so why then do the cards work OK - its just the hibernation process which casues the system to fail?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 26th, 2011 08:00

Hibernation involves Lowering power.  At lower power levels the cards do not sleep they lock up.

Crashing during Hibernation can also be a driver issue.

You did not say what the cards are.  Since they are not Dell Cards then Dell wont support them.

19 Posts

May 26th, 2011 10:00

This seems at last a real possibility - if I understand correctly, it is the card that is failing when the power is lowered - and that seems to be in accord with what happens as at first the PC appears to be shutting down just fine - the screen goes off and disks stop - then it blues screens. Does this mean I can't use PCI cards if I want to hibenate? or are there cards which will go though the hibernation process OK and if so how do I specify/identifiy them. The cards I have and wanted to use are for a firewire port and for additional USB ports and an external SATA port.

No Events found!