Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2013 18:00

Optiplex 760 - external hard drive?

Hi,

I need mega memory for some dv editing. My 760 SFF Optiplex (Vista Business) can carry 8GB of Ram but I don't want to overburden the C drive. Can I install a SATA I or II HDD in a usb enclosure and use this as an external auxiliary drive please?

Thanks,

Ric

3.1K Posts

August 30th, 2013 15:00

Hi Ric,

Yes, you are absolutely correct. You can use a hard drive enclosure to connect the hard drive.

3.1K Posts

August 29th, 2013 19:00

Hi Ric,

My advice would be to connect an external hard drive instead of using a SATA I or  II HDD. It would be more convenient.

Still, if you wish to use SATA I or  II HDD with the USB ports, then you would need to use an USB to SATA adapter.

512 Posts

August 30th, 2013 03:00

Thanks Appu S,

What if I place the SATA I/II in a hard drive enclosure, then connect that to the 760 by usb - so I can use the SATA I/II as an external hard drive?

Bests,

Ric

512 Posts

August 30th, 2013 16:00

Oh thanks Appu!

This is going to improve video editing so much because I can only currently use a GX270 XP Pro with 4GB Ram and the 760 Business Vista supports 8GB!

Bests,

Ric

3.1K Posts

August 30th, 2013 17:00

Hi Ric,

I hope that everything works in a positive way and all your work gets done in a timely manner :emotion-2:

Wish you good luck :emotion-21:

1 Message

April 11th, 2014 21:00

The Optiplex 760 has a ESATA (external SATA) port to help you connect an external SATA HD to your computer.  Does it supply power is anyones guess.  I could never find out.  If not, you will also need to connect an USB to power cord from one of your USB ports to your HD's power input port.

512 Posts

April 11th, 2014 21:00

The Optiplex 760 has a ESATA (external SATA) port to help you connect an external SATA HD to your computer.  Does it supply power is anyones guess.  I could never find out.  If not, you will also need to connect an USB to power cord from one of your USB ports to your HD's power input port.

Thanks.

Oh, not a usb socket then! How does the ESATA socket differ from the usb please?

No Events found!