Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 25th, 2016 14:00

Optiplex 780 Bios A15 Error 2 and 4

It seems that every Dell Optiplex 780, mini-tower version, motherboard 0C27VV that I have seen which has been updated to BIOS version A15 displays the front panel error code 2 and 4 on reboot.  They do, however, boot ok on power up.  Why is this not posted anywhere?  What is the solution?  How can the BIOS be reverted to say, A12.  Otherwise this is a great computer, just be careful not to update the BIOS to A15.

Dale Gibble

[Admin Note: Personal Information Removed]

August 31st, 2016 08:00

My apologies, RoHe, this is what you are missing.  The monitor is connected to the computer through a Linkskey KVM switch.  When the monitor is connected to the computer directly, the current problem disappears.  Thank you for your time.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 25th, 2016 17:00

2,4 is a video card error. Does the PC go to sleep or hibernate before you reboot and get that error?

In that case you may want to play around with sleep and power options settings in Windows (what version?) and with power settings in BIOS setup.

August 29th, 2016 08:00

The Dell Optiplex 780, mini-tower version, motherboard 0C27VV has the "video Card" built as part of the motherboard.  The error occurs with the default BIOS setup and rebooting from the BIOS as well as rebooting from Windows 7 Professional, Dell version.  The computer is NOT going to sleep and is NOT hibernating.  The DELL verbage is as follows:

• If the computer has a graphics card, remove the card, reinstall it, and then restart the computer.
  • If the problem still exists, install a graphics card that you know works and restart the computer.
  • If the problem persists or the computer has integrated graphics, contact Dell

I am using the integrated graphics.

Dale R. Gibble, B. S. E. E.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 29th, 2016 11:00

Even if the system has an add-in video card, it will also have onboard graphics because onboard graphics are on the CPU, not on the motherboard. So you're sure it only has onboard?

If it powers on ok, why are you warm rebooting? Once it's on and working why the need to reboot? Is it because the PC went to sleep and won't wake up? What am I missing?  

And if it only has onboard video, have you tried installing a PCI-e x16 video card to see if that solves the problem?

Since you said it works correctly when you power up, but not from a warm reboot, it sounds -to me- there might be an issue with one of the default BIOS settings.

How is video set in BIOS, Auto or Onboard/Card? Try switching the setting to the other option.

How is C States Control set in BIOS?

Suspend Mode ?

Low Power Mode ?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 31st, 2016 11:00

Oh...so now you tell us...! :emotion-3:

When the monitor is connected via the KVM, is the KVM set to the other PC, and that's when you get the 2,4 error code on this Optiplex?  In that case, this Optiplex probably thinks it's "headless" (running without a monitor) and it errors out.

If -big IF- the onboard video can support 2 monitors at once, and you have an available onboard HDMI port, you  might be able to resolve this by keeping an HMDI "headless dongle" plugged into the Optiplex. That way it should always think there's a monitor attached.

Keep in mind I don't know if this will work with onboard video or even with an add-in PCI-e x16 video card that supports 2 monitors while using a KVM. Headless dongles are typically used for servers where a monitor is rarely (or never) connected, and everything done on the server is done remotely.

No Events found!