Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2017 14:00

Optiplex 790 USFF, whine, startup problems

I have a Dell Optiplex 790 USFF with a odd problem. So one day I turned it on and it starts to whine, but not a steady whine, it kinda goes up and down, and all the front panel lights are orange. I unplugged and plugged it back in and boots to the Dell boots screen. But right when it finishes, it does that whine and light thing again. F.Y.I, this is not my computer, I just need info to fix it.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 7th, 2017 14:00

Page 65 of the 790 SFF Owner's Manual list the 1234 Diagnostic LEDs. But all four on is not listed. Are there any beep codes? You will need to start pulling one device at a time from the motherboard, reboot, and see if the 1234 Diagnostic LEDs match the device removed. For example, pull the memory and reboot should show 1 on, 234 off. Trial and error pulling parts to find the culprit.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 7th, 2017 15:00

The whine could be one of the fans speeding up and slowing down. May not be the problem but just the symptoms of something else.  

When was last time motherboard battery was replaced?  If it's old, you might start there, even if just to rule it out. The CR2032 battery is ~$2 at discount stores.

Unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open case and remove old battery. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec.  While you're in there, reseat RAM modules and PCI cards in their slots and use some canned air to blow out all the dust. Make sure all fans are clean and turn freely. Reinstall the battery after you finish reseating and cleaning. Then close up and see if it boots with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected.

2 Posts

November 9th, 2017 12:00

It’s not a beep code for sure. It’s a constant beeping with whining in the background.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 10th, 2017 10:00

You didn't say it was beeping...

Check to see if a key is stuck on the keyboard, or try a different keyboard.

No Events found!