Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2013 07:00

Optiplex 9010 AIO Screen goes black and freezes on logout.

We've been having this issue with our new 9010s and I was hoping to find some answers. The problem is random (doesn't happen every time), but most often happens on logout and also (less often) when USB stick is plugged in. Here is what's been done so far:

1. Image is (in house) Win7 64. Bios updated to A10 - no change
  2. removed the rapid storage drivers and replaced with Microsoft ones - no change
  3. there are no significant errors in event viewer at the time of crash
  4. updated USB3 driver chipset - no change
  5. Run system diagnostics - no errors
Any ideas anyone? 

February 20th, 2013 09:00

We are seeing the same issue here. Systems are also running Win 7 64 bit fully patched. Problem is very random so is hard to track down. I'm going to try the latest Intel HD video driver on Dell's site.

February 20th, 2013 09:00

We've gone to the latest  HD Driver from Intel (Win64_152812.exe) and it did not make any difference.  If you have any other ideas, I'm very eager to hear. Sort of at the end of ideas here...

1 Message

February 20th, 2013 19:00

we are having a similar issue with our 9010 USFF's.  After lockout they randomly lockout (nothing but Win7 blue screen).  You can still ping them but that's it.  Seems like they are hanging in a sleep mode (even thought sleep mode is disabled in control panel).  Anyone tried the latest A12 BIOS update from 3 weeks ago?

February 21st, 2013 05:00

Have not tried the new bios yet. I thought the A10 was the latest. We've opened a case with Dell but so far no answers. They did suggest going to their site and downloading/installing all the *recommended* drivers. I've done most of them yesterday, one at a time, and again, no change. One more to go.

February 21st, 2013 06:00

Installed all recommended drivers with no resolution. Also, made sure keyboard is plugged into the USB3 port (wasn't originally), also no change.  Testing to see if AntiVirus (McAfee) is interfering.

March 15th, 2013 12:00

Did removing McAfee help?

20 Posts

October 16th, 2013 10:00

Hey Margaret,

Did you happen to ever determine what might be causing the issue?  We have the exact same scenario happening in our environment and cant seem to figure it out.  After working with video drivers and power settings we decided it must be hardware so we have started swapping mother boards.  But...  Today one of the ones we swapped out starting doing going back to the black screen after she logs off. 

20 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 07:00

I'm not sure if anyone is still following this post or not but we are now able to replicate the issue consistently on almost every 9010 that we have tested with that has an I3 processor. We are not seeing the same issue on the 4 9010 I5 systems.

The issue is most definitely linked to something happening after a user logs off and this has nothing to do with drivers, bios, or even the version of windows that is on the system.

So far I have seen 3 different scenarios. 

1. System completely crashes and reboots
  2. Screen goes black but is still back lit
  3. Screen goes completely black as if the system is off

If you log on the system and back off multiple times you will create the above situation almost every time.  I have seen it take any where from 2 - 12 concurrent log off attempts before the system crashes.

As mentioned before you can ping the system and even browse the local hard drive but the machine locally still remains unresponsive.  I attempted to stop windows services remotely to see if one could "jump start" the system but I found that most of them are locked up and will not allow you stop or start them. 

We tested our theory with 5 machines all running different OS versions, patch levels and bios versions (windows 7 (32), windows 7 (64), Windows 7 (thin pc)) to only find they all would lock up after several log on/off attempts.  We had a dell tech replace the motherboard in two of the test machines loaded them right back to the same level and got the same results.

For our final test we took a brand new 9010 out of the box, left it completely "dell" default and after 3 logoffs the system went black.  

As I stated earlier we can only seem to make this happen on systems containing core I3 boards.  We have 4 I5 systems that we have tried to make crash and so far they are working properly.  To me this seems to confirm there is something very faulty with the I3 boards in these 9010s.

We contacted our dell rep because we have 1000 of these i3 9010s and he is looking into what could be going on.  Just a little side note we found out yesterday that i3 boards for these 9010s are mysteriously back ordered and that you can no longer order an all in one pc with an i3 processor. 

4 Posts

November 5th, 2013 08:00

we seem to be encountering the same issue with 9010 AIO. From my research, the systems with the i3-2120 CPU appear to be the ones consistently experiencing this issue. We have 9010's with i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz that do not hang at logoff (or that I cannot reproduce the issue on). Can you confirm the model of your processors?

4 Posts

November 5th, 2013 10:00

correction, we're now seeing the issue on model 3220's.

November 6th, 2013 08:00

We are having the same issue with 9020 AIO i7 units, tried much of the above with no success. C'mon Dell!!

20 Posts

November 6th, 2013 09:00

John thank you for the post!!  Just yesterday Dell agreed to send us 5 9020's with I7s to test with. Sounds like that's going to be a busted plan.  I will let you know if for some reason we don't see any issues. 

10 Posts

November 7th, 2013 07:00

do any of you happen to be receiving application event error 1503 Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service at the time of logoff immediately prior to the crash?

20 Posts

November 7th, 2013 08:00

Yes, I've noticed this error also.  I tried recreating the users profile to see if that would help but it didn't.  I dropped looking into this particular error because I've seen it on machines that didn't crash.

10 Posts

November 7th, 2013 08:00

I should say I've loaded a 9010 from scratch using a win7 dvd, not imaged it. it has not exhibited the symptoms since I've done so.

No Events found!