Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2014 09:00

Optiplex 9010 - Front Headphone / Mic jack causes PC to power off

We're running into an issue with a room full of our Dell Optiplex 9010's USFF PCs.

Occasionally (not every time, but regularly enough to be an issue) when a headset or mic is plugged into the front Panel audio the entire PC will just instantly shut down.  Cables are secure (we use the USFF Stand&Monitor).

The headphones are the same ones we've used for a couple years and have never had any issues with them with our previous Dell Optiplex 745's. 

I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting/resolving this issue. 

I've asked to make sure users aren't accidentally hitting the power button (which is very near the front audio ports) but even if they did push that it wouldn't instantly kill the PC's power.

We're running Win7 Ent x64.  

Any ideas? Anyone else seeing similar behaviour? 

6 Posts

Doesn't seem to be *all* of them, but it's at least a half dozen of them (we have about 160 of them total, and about 20 of them are in this lab room where the headphones get used most).

I'll have my tech check the connections and report back

459 Posts

The front I/O on this model is one piece (Thank God), are you having issues with all or one machine (9010's)?

This is the unit: Dell Optiplex 9010 Desktop I/O USB Audio Front Panel Cable Assembly 6236M

Make sure that they are secure to motherboard.

How old are these machines? Are they getting a lot of headphone jack use like all day in out in out?

One possible outcome is that the port is well used and as soon as someone puts headphones in they push all the way through to the motherboard inside I/O assembly causing a grounding out or complete shut down when contact is made. Sounds like the computer shuts down to protect itself from damage.

May need to replace Front I/O units or the I/O panels in all machines this is occurring.

459 Posts

HI ICSTECH,

Can you use back outlets till issue is resolved, put piece of tape over ports in front so customers or employees don't use them.

Checking Issue.........................

459 Posts

The I/O panel inside USFF's could be grounding off inside, check I/O panels also while Tech is inside machines. Maybe rubber grommets where the screw touches the I/O panel and Chassis or electrical tape behind the I/O board to keep it from contacting the metal of the chassis underneath causing it to ground off.

Is anything touching this board panel on the back side or when you push a headphone jack in is it pushing the connectors into the metal anywhere to cause a serge that turns computer off. can you recreate the power failure?

6 Posts

Using back ports is not an option (nor a fix).  We use them in a lab environment and the back ports are covered with the USFF coverpiece.

459 Posts

March 17th, 2014 10:00

Do you have pictures of how they are used with out back ports??

459 Posts

Using back ports is not an option (nor a fix).  We use them in a lab environment and the back ports are covered with the USFF coverpiece.

I only asked this to see if the issue is system wide or just front panels.

Do you have pictures of the real world applications of this machine in the LAB environment?

6 Posts

The Dell 9010 AIO Stand comes with a sleeve and back panel cover.  The cover hides the wires/connections on the back of the PC.  

The users only utilize the front panel ports for their needs (USB, Audio, Mic)

6 Posts

March 17th, 2014 11:00

My apologies if I came across rudely.

I'll see if I can get a picture of the lab, but here's a similar set up we have in a different room::

http://imgur.com/7eBEg05

459 Posts

March 17th, 2014 11:00

I have a temporary work around till you can replace all effected front panels and cheap too:

Food for thought: Replacing audio/ Mic extension cables are cheaper than Front I/O ports.

6 Posts

March 17th, 2014 14:00

Thanks, I do suspect that could work as a workaround.

I was mostly trying to see if this was a known.issue and what was being done about it.

These machines are less than 2 years old and still under warranty, so I'd likely just call and have them fix them before I spent money on workarounds or had my tech spend too much time.

Thanks for the input

December 12th, 2014 12:00

ICSTECH, we are having the same problem with the OptiPlex 990. The In-court clerks must monitor the audio with a headset plugged into the front of the computer and using the back is not an option.

The front module on the 990 is all encased in plastic and glued, so I could not see what happens when the 3.5 mm headphone jack is inserted.

This problem occurs on multiple 990 computers.

No Events found!