Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2016 22:00

Optiplex 9020 AIO No Wifi?

Just got a 9020 for the office and was surprised to find that it doesn't have wifi. I've done some searching and haven't found anything about this on the message boards.

Is it possible for me to install an Intel 7260? It looks like the Win 7 driver is compatible. I'm thinking of picking one up and trying it since they're only about $20 on eBay.

Anyone got any experience with this?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 29th, 2016 10:00

The manual says it may have either:

• half mini-card (Wi-Fi b/g/n supporting Wi-Fi display)
  • combo half mini-card (Bluetooth 4.0 and Wi-Fi b/g/n supporting Wi-Fi display)

Don't know if either of those are standard or optional features. Are you sure your AIO doesn't have a WiFi card? Go to the support page for this model and click System Configuration. Enter the system's Service Tag and see if the configuration lists a WiFi card.

If not, you'd need a WiFi card that fits in a Mini PCI Express slot. But it's simpler/easier if you just get a USB WiFi dongle and plug that into one of your USB ports.

3 Posts

February 29th, 2016 10:00

I know it seems odd but yes, I'm positive there is no wifi card! I agree a USB wifi dongle would be easier but in my application, I'm afraid it would be more of a problem. 

I found an Intel 7260 PCI Express combo card for a decent price. The only thing missing is part of the mount. The two nut plates on the motherboard are farther away from the card and so it looks like Dell used a metal plate to bridge the gap. I have a creative solution in mind for that. :)

Also, according to research, the 7260 driver is cooked into the Win 7 install.

Thanks for the input RoHe, it confirmed that I'm on the right track here. I'll update the forum once I get the card and try it.

121 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 12:00

If your concerned about the dongle getting in the way, I use a USB Hub, this way you can keep it out of the way. I have 2.0 hub's and SS hubs. check it out 

3 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 15:00

That's not a bad suggestion at all. I've already ordered the internal card and I think that's the best solution since no one will ever see it. :)
No Events found!