Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 19th, 2016 22:00

Optiplex GX260 P4 2GB RAM, XP Pro Serv. pack 3 : Re: Missing file: ialmn5.sys, pop-up message during system "repair" using Reinstallation CD

While running a system repair using the XP Pro Re-Installation CD, I received a pop-up message: File: ialmn5.sys is not found, please install this file from another external source.

I have googled this situation and have found this reference: File: ialmnt5.sys not found. I may have copied the message from my computer screen incorrectly by inadvertently omitting the "t" .  So the message probably read as File: ialmnt5.sys not found. 

I cannot seem to find a downloadable source for the missing File.  I also do not know how to install it if I did find a copy of it. What is a .sys file anyway? Is this missing file a system "driver" of some sort? I think the message was in reference to the onboard intel graphics chip or whatever it is called. I do not know how to regenerate the missing file message. I had no recourse but to continue the system repair installation since I have no source for the missing file. 

Can someone help me understand what this missing file is and where I can go to download a copy of it (plus how to install it)?

I know XP Pro is a "relic from the distant past" but I would still like to fix the pop-up error message. 

My Optiplex system is not "supported" for a Windows 10 upgrade, but can anyone tell me if my GX260 will upgrade to a Windows 7 OS configuration?

Thank you for your help. 

Mrc109. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 20th, 2016 07:00

The driver is part of those needed for the Intel GPU -- one thing you may want to do is run an extended diagnostic on the hard drive before proceeding.  If the drive passes the diagnostic, next verify the condition of the capacitors (can shaped devices on the mainboard) -- if any aren't  perfectly flat on top (i.e., they're bulging or leaking), the mainboard will need to be replaced, and if you find faulty capacitors, it's also a good idea to replace the power supply along with the mainboard.  To run the diagnostics, press F12 a few times after pressing the power button.

If the hardware checks out, uninstall the Intel graphics driver and reinstall them.  That should solve the problem.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 20th, 2016 17:00

can anyone tell me if my GX260 will upgrade to a Windows 7 OS configuration?

I don't think it would work well with Windows 7 unless you can upgrade the video. The Sparkle GT210 PCI might work for that purpose, but I can't guarantee it.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 21st, 2016 05:00

You can get a newer machine WITH windows 7 for the cost of windows that will be 500 percent faster and have DDR2 or DDR3 with multicore processor.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-Dual-Core-Windows-Professional/dp/B0094MT4QG/

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 22nd, 2016 04:00

INTEL 845 graphics is not compatible with Vista or Windows 7.

No Events found!