Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 20th, 2010 20:00

Optiplex GX280 Amber Light after Processor Upgrade

Hey everyone,

I know that the GX280 is an old system, but I needed a desktop so instead of buying a new one I decided to upgrade this GX280 which I had laying around.  So far, my upgrades include: 2x 1GB PC-4200 RAM, and NVIDIA Geforce 8400GS PCI x16 Graphics Card, overclocked a little... : )  My next upgrade was from a Pentium 4 520 (2.8 Ghz, 1 core) to a Celeron E3300 (2.5Ghz, 2 cores.)  The problem is, I replaced the processor, then booted up the system.  I got a blank screen (no post at all), and a solid amber light.  If I put the Pentium 4 back in, I get a completely successful boot and everything.  I have tried lots of things to get it to work, to no avail.  I've tried: Turning off Hyper-Thrading in the BIOS, because I don't think this processor has Hyper-Threading. I tried removing the graphics card.  I've tried updating all chipsets.  I've tried BIOS's A07 and A08.  Nothing works.

Things that I think might be the problem are: This is a 64 bit processor. Pentium is a 32 bit. Also, I'm running Windows XP Professional 32 bit.  I also think the power supply might not be providing enough power.  To be honest though, I have no idea whats wrong.  All help is appreciated.  I contacted Dell and they said this processor is compatible with my computer. Maybe it's a defective processor? Sadly I have no other computer to test it in, so I'm going to try anything and if I can't fix it I'm going to return it to try and get another one and see if it works.  ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance, and if you need any more info about my setup, let me know.

412 Posts

April 20th, 2010 21:00

Ok I have a theory & this is all just guess-work based on some quick findings.

The Celeron has a Voltage range of .85 to 1.3625 volts. The P4 is 1.25-1.4 volts. So I think that socket provides too much voltage for the Celeron. Just guessing, it's never a theory I've had the opportunity to test with these CPUs or others. But I've been doing computer work long enough to realize that sometimes, if things aren't just right nothing works.

So, that's what I got.

412 Posts

April 20th, 2010 20:00

Being that you updated the BIOS that is step 1. If that didn't work, you can try replacing the power supply but the Celeron has a TDP of 65W & the P4 that of 84W (according to Intel site).

You can try swapping the CPU as that is a possibility though you don't see tons of bad CPUs. Especially out of the box. Afraid that's all I can come up with at the moment, will let you know if I think of anything else though.

Ok... So that means that the processor's incompatible, right? Is there any fix for this voltage thing, or should I just return the processor.  Sorry for all my questions, and thanks for your help.

412 Posts

In theory no, XP runs fine off of a 64-bit CPU even if XP isn't 64-bit.

The pins may be the issue. If your CPU slot requires some form of contact in all the pin slots & there isn't it could cause an issue. I'll do a little research & see if I can find anything then report back.

412 Posts

On any vendor-made PC (Dell, HP, etc) no. The CPU voltage is set. In my desktop, which I self-built, I can adjust the CPU voltage to accommodate overclocking my CPU because my motherboard supports it. Not possible on an Optiplex. Sorry.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm currently doing a little more research about his too, I'll post if I get a fix.  The 64 bit processor isn't causing a compatibility problem, right? Because the contacts of the Pentium and the Celeron look different.  I don't know... just an observation.  Just want to confirm this motherboard/BIOS accepts 64 bit processors.

April 20th, 2010 22:00

Yup... OK time to buy some new parts.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

papasmurf6768

You are Welcome.

Upgrading processors can be a real pain at times, as I well know.    :emotion-5:

Bev.

412 Posts

Yea... sorry I'm the bearer of bad news man. The support people just look at them both being socket 775. Therefore they must auto-magically work.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

papasmurf6768

The Optiplex GX280 does not support any Dual Core, or Core 2 Duo processors, Socket LGA 775 single core P4 only.

Bev.

Uhhhhg that's the last thing I wanted to hear... I think I'll keep the processor and get a new motherboard and case.  Problem is that stuff costs money...  Stupid support guys telling me it was compatible... OK thanks for all your help.  I'm just wondering why the amber light instead of some kind of error message.  

412 Posts

April 21st, 2010 04:00

Sorry papasmurf,

Good luck with the new parts. If you still have problems you know where to find us.

And mark this thread as solved if you don't mind. That way that way no one else is all tripping over it thinking it's unresolved.

April 21st, 2010 11:00

Thanks for all your help! Just wanted to post some pictures of the processors.

This is the Pentium

And this is the Celeron. Guess that's the problem right? Different contacts.  Solved! (You don't have to reply if you don't want)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 21st, 2010 12:00

papasmurf6768

Interesting.   :emotion-11:

Bev.

No Events found!