Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 22nd, 2007 03:00

Optiplex GX280 Install Problem

Hello Everyone, I have searched all night and have not really found a solid answer. I have a client who has three Optiplex GX280 computers which were manufactured in 2004, now being out of warranty he has pretty much left them to the side. Well he now needs them for a project for his developers and I need to install Windows 2000 on one, Windows XP on another and either Linux or another XP install on the third. I am finding when I hit F12 at the boot screen and it says: Onboard or USB CD ROM The boot disk is never running, it comes back with unable to boot, press F1 to retry and F2 to go into settings. I was reading somewhere this model will not allow you to boot from the internal CD-Rom is this true? Do I have to boot from an external or network location? If so how do I do this, since I don't have a bootable flash drive, nor do I have a USB external CD-Rom. I have a few flash drives but how would I reinstall these flavors of Windows from that drive or the external USB drive? Advise and direction is greatly needed and appreciated - Thanks! Message Edited by arch3angel on 05-21-2007 11:44 PM Message Edited by arch3angel on 05-21-2007 11:45 PM

Message Edited by arch3angel on 05-23-2007 06:59 PM

14 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 15:00

5 years later and not one fix given, this is a problem dell ignore and no one can fix except for computer engineers

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2012 18:00

Sometimes questions just slip through the cracks.  Also, this is a user-helping-user forum, so just because Dell hasn't answered a post doesn't mean they are ignoring it - or that there isn't a fix - they just aren't the ones answering the questions.  

What is your situation and question?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

emachines

14 Posts

which computer manufacturer would you advise i spend my money on when setting up my own publishing firm, cause i aint buying DELL thats for sure

No Events found!