Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2008 18:00

Overclocking XPS 730X H2C

Hello all,

PLEASE help me out.  I ordered my 730 with the following:

Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme - Level 2 (Factory O/C'd to 3.73GHz), Genuine Windows Vista® 64-bit Home Premium

Now, any type of CPU test I run says it's at 3.20 GHz.  When I try to call Dell, they are totally unhelpful -- after about 2 hours on and off hold (incl getting hung up on), they finally tell me that they do not SHIP PC's overclocked...........so then what the did I clock that for when I ordered it???

Also, she said that she can tell me WHERE to overclock it, but not what kind of settings to use..........

HELP!!!!!

1 Message

March 7th, 2009 03:00

I am having the same problem with the same system. The information Dell sent me said my system was supposed to be FACTORY overclocked to 3.73 but is only at 3.20 and I really don't want to mess it up trying to get back to the settings it was supposed to come with. Frustrating to say the least....

482 Posts

March 7th, 2009 05:00

Hello dakota333 and iantheevil and welcome to the Dell general hardware forums,

First question I would ask is how do you know that the i7 is running at 3.2 GHz?   If you are using windows welcome center as your information, it reads only what Intel has imprinted as the chip identification speed (3.2 GHz) and NOT the actual running speed.    If you run CPUz (a free download found on the net), you will notice that the screen will tell you what the speed is listed on the chip (still 3.2 GHZ) and then it will list what the OC speed actually is running.  Check with the CPUz before you adjust the BIOS overclock.

If you go to F2 screen when starting the unit, the opening screen will list the acutal speed the CPU is running as well and the Intel chip identification speed, but that will require a restart.

I do understand your frustration with the situation, however you can go into the BIOS and correct this error yourself fairly easily.  I do understand that you wanted Dell to do this for you, but yes, you can overclock your XPS 730X and it is a fairly straight forward process.

I would suggest you start  by watching the DellVlog presentation on YouTube to get a feel for what you are going to need to do to overclock your rig.  You can watch the Dell Techs Phil and Russ walk you through the process at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RCmJWT15j0

There are several DellVlog's on the XPS series there to watch that are great information.  The actual process of overclocking has been explained several times here in the forums, and the following is a direct quote from Chris M which I would recommend you follow to overclock the rig yourself:

The i7-965 Extreme processor will only show 3.20GHz in the Windows System Properties and in the Device Manager- Processors. To check for the overclock settings -
* Reboot into the Bios

CPU Configuration Screen
XD Bit Capability = Enabled
SpeedStep = Enabled
C-STATE Tech = Disabled
C State package Limit = C6

Frequency/Voltage Control Screen
QPI Frequency = Auto
Memory Ratio = Auto
XMP Support = Disabled
CPU Core (Non-turbo) Ratio = 28

Overclock Configuration Screen
Adjust CPUBC1k (Mhz) = 133
Spread Spectrum = Enabled
Adjust PCI Frequency (Mhz) = Auto
Adjust PCI-E Frequency (Mhz) = 100
Intel TurboMode Tech = Enabled
1 core turbo speed limit = 28 (28x133 = 3.724)
2 core turbo speed limit = 28
3 core turbo speed limit = 28
4 core turbo speed limit = 28
Tdc = 180
Tdp = 200

Overvoltage Configuration Sceen
Dynamic CPU Vcore Offset = +120mv
DDR3 Memory Voltage = Auto
I0H Voltage = 1.10V
QPI and Uncore Voltage = Default

If yours use the above settings, then you are at 3.724.

Best on your new gaming rig,

Darrell WV

39 Posts

May 1st, 2009 00:00

Hi everyone,

I just received my XPS 730X H2C on Tuesday and I have seen more blue screens than I wanted.  We will see if we can iron those out.  Some questions have been posted lately about the new bios 1.0.2.   While my system is supposed to be overclocked I can find no proof of it.  I have checked with the CPUz Program as well as in the bios.  I tried Darrell's settings as noted above, but then my system won't boot.  Back the Bios.  While there, I notice that this BIOS DOES NOT have the XMP Support option in the Frequency/Voltage Control Screen, nor could I find it anywhere else.  Further the CPU Core (Non-turbo) Ratio is locked at a maximum of 24.  if you haven't updated your BIOS already, give this some consideration.  Thought please?

Eagle Hill

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 1st, 2009 09:00

Eagle Hill,

XMP is under Frequency/Voltage Control Screen- Advance DRAM Configuration- MEMORY-Z [press Enter]- DIMM 1 and DIMM 2 [press Enter].

24 is the maximum ratio.

39 Posts

May 1st, 2009 09:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I followed your directions and because I have 6 Gb. I have DIMM 2, DIMM2 and DIMM3.  When I press enter on each of these I get greyed out setting; but explore as I will I can find no XMP that I can disable. 

Secondly, while I don't want to start something here, I was following Darrel WV's directions to enable overclocking on my system that was supposed to ship with a factory overclock, and didn't.  In this posting dated 07 Mar 2009 07:25 AM, Darrel disabled the XMP support and changed the CPU Core (Non-turbo) ratio to 28.  That would then seem to conflict with what you are saying??

Eagle Hill

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 1st, 2009 10:00

24 is the maximum on my XPS 730x. Our hardware must differ (CPU, RAM). I used the Overclock settings here for my Air Cooled XPS 730x.

482 Posts

May 1st, 2009 15:00

Hey Chris M,

Would you review what you posted above for me, because I am now very confused myself.  Your post  linked to your configuration which states:

"Overclock Configuration Screen
Adjust CPUBC1k (MHz) = 133
Spread Spectrum = Enabled
Adjust PCI Frequency (MHz) = Auto
Adjust PCI-E Frequency (MHz) = 100
Intel TurboMode Tech = Enabled
1 - 4 core turbo speed limit = 28 H2C (28x133 = 3724 MHz), 26 Air Cooled (26x133=3458 MHz)
Tdc = 180 H2C, 160 Air Cooled
Tdp = 200 H2C, 180 Air Cooled"

So, my question is which is it 24 X 133 = 3.2 GHz or 28 X 133 = 3.7 GHz?

I am just curious here and not wanting to be a problem.

Best,

Darrell WV

39 Posts

May 1st, 2009 16:00

Chris,

I would like the same answer.  I have a H2C and if the turbo speed limit is truly 24 as you have said - and that I have found I can not raise above 24 - then it would seem that I did not get the 2 Level Factory Overclock that I ordered. 

While we are on that subject after 2 hours on the phone with XPS tech support we have set my system to as noted by both Darrell and yourself, however, you both say to disable XMP support, but it is just simply not in my Bios.  Nor were able to have either the BIOS or CPUz Program actually measure the new faster clock speed.  Are we doing something wrong?  In idle mode I find that the multiplier is X12.  In watching another video on overclocking it was suggested that if the Intel Speedstep is disabled then the system will run in turbo speeds constantly.  I did that and I notice that the multiplier has in fact increased to x24, however the BIOS and the CPUz still show a clock speed of only 3.20Ghz!!  What gives.

Thanks for your patience.

Eargle Hill

81 Posts

June 5th, 2009 12:00

I am having similar issues.  See my post in the 730x thread.  The only difference is I have bios 1.0.3.  Have they "locked" down some things to prevent problems?  My next step is to contact support but I suspect they will not be able to assist or tell me what is going on. 

As a side note I installed 3DMark06 on the computer to test it and it shows the intel id but also the actual speed.  Both indicated 3.2.  If I were to guess it seems that they have disabled overclocking in the 730x but that is simply a guess (at least for the 965 I-7).

The fact that the 1.0.3 documentation has not been released yet makes me wonder I suppose.  I believe the bios date is 4/7/09.

Any update on this bios or issue would be helpful.

Thanks

Mark

81 Posts

June 8th, 2009 15:00

As an update, it appears I am running as I should.  I ran CPUz and it reflects the right speed when under load (running a game, using 3DMark, etc).  It appears not to report this in the bios since I am assuming the CPU is not under stress when you hit F2 to bring up the bios screen. 

Thanks

Mark

No Events found!