Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2013 05:00

Overclocking studio 540

Hello I have studio 540 that I would like to try to overclock. I know that I can't do it through the bios because its locked. But I have read that there are numerous software programs that will allow you to do this. The only thing is its asking for a PLL manufacturer. I found the PLL chip but cannot locate who made the chip from online resources. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with this. System specs are as follows Processor. Intel Q9550 2.83ghz 12mb L2 cache 8gb DDR 2 800mhz ram Primary drive OCZ Agility III SSD 240 gb Secondary drive WD caviar black 640gb PNY (nvidia) 560ti 1gb graphics 600w corsair power supply Bios version 1.1.3 (I think it's AMI bios) If Missed any needed info let me know

3.7K Posts

January 23rd, 2013 05:00

You will need to watch, Dell systems are not built for overclocking, and you could do some damage.

10 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 06:00

Yes I understand overclocking can be hazardous I have taken the necessary precautions as far as cooling goes. From what I can gather dell MoBo's are intel boards will "Dell" bios. Although may be wrong.

893 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 07:00

Generally, Dell low end PCs are not overclockable, I was able to overclock AMD CPU in Dell, but it was a nightmare, still not all working as it should. Intel, well, you would have to search Google for "tape mod" - I believe Q6600 (or something like this) can be overclocked in any Dell, HP and such using this method, but here you would be on your own. Your processor might be overclockable as well using this method, but again, you have to search yourself, unfortunately.

It would be nice, if you succeed, post results here, so everyone else would know.

10 Posts

Thank you, I do have a retail copy of Win7 my pc came with   Vista. Actually the only things left on my dell that came with the pc is the DVD burner and the MOBO lol. I have changed everything else.

893 Posts

You would have to replace your MOBO in order to overclock normally (tape mod is only for "special" non BIOS supported overclock), and you would have to do clean install, meaning wiping your SSD during installation. There would be 1 more thing for you to get - retail copy of Windows, since non Dell motherboard would not (officially) except Dell OEM Widows license.

10 Posts

Well the research I've done states that the q9550 handles overclocking well. I've read that some have ever over clocked it up to 3.6 ghz. I'm not looking to go that high because I did not get a water cooling setup. I have 120mm fan and heat sink setup. Also want to note that the q9550 is not the original chip that came with the pc. A Q8200 came with it and I found through research that it does not handle overclocking well at all. And yes I would be happy to post my results. Now I just need that PLL chip manufacturer.

10 Posts

Hey 1 more question. If I were to replace the MoBo so I can overclock should I wipe my SSD and start from scratch or can I just swap it, turn it on, and let Win7 install the necessary drivers?

10 Posts

January 28th, 2013 11:00

Just wanted to give some feedback. I decided to replace my Motherboard with an asus MoBo (P5Q Pro Turbo) that will allow overclocking. Also wanted to say that I never reinstalled Win7 after MoBo replacment. I was ready to, backed up all my files, got all the discs together, But then I booted it up and presto it started Win7 with no errors. Win installed all the new necessary drivers. Rebooted and is running fine as of right now. Im playing World of Warcraft and its running great. I'm going to give it a few days to make sure all is ok before starting my overclocking adventures. Ill be sure to post some results. I plan on Oc'ing processor, memory and my 560ti graphics card. One at a time of course. But thats the plan.

No Events found!