Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2015 16:00

PBR and WINRETOOLS on Dell XPS 8500

My Dell XPS 8500 os Windows 8.1 (upgraded from original 8.0 upon purchase) crashed on me and i want to know how to access and use PBR and or WINRETOOLS. my management program shows these partitions as being present and healthy but they also do not have drive letters assigned and that is only I know to access such partitions. my knowlege is basic and do not recall every having problems in past with computers with similar factory partions or restore images. Will someone please try and explain or advise me on this problem.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 31st, 2015 18:00

You can't access those partitions directly and that's why the don't have assigned drive letters.

Define "crashed". Can you still get to the desktop? If you can get to the desktop, you can use Windows Refresh (less drastic) or Reset (drastic), but keep in mind that will get you back to Win 8, not to 8.1 and any software that's installed will have to be reinstalled. A Reset also wipes your personal files too.

If you don't already have it, and you're in the USA, you should contact Dell Tech Support to see if they'll provide the backup media. It may only be Win 8, and they may charge you if you're no longer under warranty but if you can't boot now, that may be your only option.

Another option might be to upgrade to Win 10 (free) assuming you can still boot to the desktop now and shouldn't affect your files or installed software.

Be sure to back up personal files on external media first, regardless of what you do.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 1st, 2015 07:00

You don't access those you use a win8.1 boot flash drive or dvd to "refresh" your windows setup.You only need the bootable media when your regular windows no longer boots.  You can also try startup repair from that media.

No Events found!