Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2001 11:00

PCI system management bus

Hi,

I own a brand new Dimension4100 running win98SE and I am desperately trying to install a wireless LAN. In the process of doing so, I was advised to reinstall Windows 98, which I did. Once I have installed all my drivers again (Chipset 810, NVidia M64, Creative SoundBlaster) I am left in Device Manager with an error (exclamation mark) in Other Devices on a "PCI system management bus". 2 questions:
1- What is it?
2- Where can I find a proper driver for it?

The real problem comes when I install my network card (PCMCIA card installed on a PCI bridge): my computer won't allocate an IRQ to it, even though IRQ3 is free. My feeling is that the conflict comes from the "PCI system management bus".

Anybody with a clue please?
Thanks
Stan

2.2K Posts

February 11th, 2001 01:00

Which Intel chipset update did you install? The Dimension 4100 uses the Intel 815e chipset; the exact download for your system can be found here.

2 Posts

February 12th, 2001 17:00

Thank you very much for your help. The version of the Chipset which is on my Dell Resource CD is indeed not the one corresponding to my motherboard......... I have now installed the right one and it works.

Unfortunately it didn't solve my other problem. I am trying to install a network card (PCMCIA) which requires a PCI bridge. I have installed the bridge successfully (IRQ5) but my network card won't find any IRQ. Arguably my IRQs are quite full. Only IRQ3 is free, but it won't go there, even if I try to force it there (I tried IRQ reservation as well). I also tried to disable my com1 port to free up IRQ4 and went nowhere.

If anyone has anything else to suggest I would be very grateful.

Stan

1 Message

August 17th, 2001 16:00

I had the same problem.
I downloaded the Chipset update and installed it. Many new devices were detected and installed but the PCI System Management BUS and an "Unknown" device kept being detected.

I had previously been clicking cancel when I was prompted for a driver for the above mentioned items so they did not even show up in device manager.

What made the difference was that then next time they were detected I kept clicking NEXT and even though no driver was found they were placed in Device manager in "Other Devices".

Then I re-ran the chipset update and after rebooting the drivers for the PCI system management bus AND the "Unknown Devices were found and the problem was solved.

1 Message

February 8th, 2002 11:00

Same Problem, but fixed when I followed dkendrick instructions, Thanks!

No Events found!