Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2012 01:00

Please help with Dell XPS one 2710 Bios Update

I updated the BIOS from A03 to A08, then system just went blue screen after reboot. Then I foudn this note hiding in the additonal information of new bios:

Note:
You may run A08.exe if you are already updated to A06 BIOS.
Otherwise, please update to A05 BIOS first and then flash to the latest A-rev BIOS.

Now I can only get into windows when setting the hard drive at ATA mode. AHCI and Raid will both cause blue screen. I have been trying to run old A03.EXE in windows, the notification is successful but when I get into bios, it's still A08 there.

What should I do? How can I downgrade the bios to previous version? Thanks a lot.

1 Message

January 4th, 2013 19:00

Hi James, I had the same problem today, after I followed the Dell popup window's suggestion that I install a CRITICAL Bios Update A09.  My original installed version was A06 like yours.

Immediately after the update, system couldn't boot and after 2 tries it landed on a blue screen with troubleshooting options.  Tried the Automatic Repair option, it failed.  Didn't want to lose all my non-metro installed apps by using the "Refresh" option, so I called Dell Tech Support.

After running the system diagnostics (all the hardware showed fine, of course), they had me reboot and tap F2 until the BIOS Screen came up.  Then F9 to restore defaults, then F10 to save and reboot.  This was the instant fix.  Some people online have said that yes, this system IS a RAID system (you've got the Hard Drive plus SSD option, right?) and the Bios must be set to RAID Mode or the system can't boot.  The Bios Update apparently sets this incorrectly.  I can't confirm that, but I CAN confirm that using Restore Defaults in the BIOS worked for me.

Sounds like you already tried this, but try it again, and make sure you use F10 to Save your changes after you Restore Defaults.

I doubt it makes a difference, but instead of F9, I navigated to the top right BIOS tab, called EXIT.  Then down-arrowed to Restore Defaults and hit Enter.  Then F10 to Save.  Try that instead of the F9.  Good luck!  I love this machine, and Windows 8, so I hope you get it back.

UPDATE:  just found this on the Dell website at http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/xps-one-27-2710-aio?driverId=NNVVV&fileId=3079876863

You may run A09.exe if you are already updated to A08 BIOS. Attention! Once you upgrade BIOS to A09. Please DO NOT downgrade BIOS to any version earlier. The BIOS A09 is for fixing the issue that the SATA Mode is always loaded to AHCI after BIOS upgraded. And A09 enhanced the SATA Mode by automatically detecting SATA configuration and set to the correct mode accordingly when you click loading defaults as this --- BIOS Setup > Exit > Load Defaults; Suggest running "Load Defaults" after you update BIOS A09; Be careful: that BIOS settings will be load to defaults except "Boot Mode", "Secure Boot Control" and "Load Legacy OPROM".

I suspect my Dell Tech Support guy read this while my system diagnostics were running.  So maybe there IS a difference by navigating to the EXIT tab, and then Load Defaults from there.  Geez.  Give it a try, anyway!

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 14th, 2012 02:00

Hi piggyrain,

There is no option to downgrade the BIOS.

Since you are able to boot to the system in ATA mode, I suggest that you try to disable the acceleration.

1. Run the Intel RST software through the All Programs menu or the task bar icon.
    2. Click Disable acceleration under either the Status or Accelerate menu.

Once disabled, shut the system down, and go to the BIOS screen, change the SATA operation to IRST. Save the changes and exit.

In case you are unable to disable the acceleration mode, reply to this post for further assistance.

2 Posts

November 14th, 2012 07:00

Hi Sujatha, I can't find any Intel RST software installed on the computer. And when I try to install the one downloaded from Dell support website, it gives me the message:"This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for install the software". What should I do? Thanks a lot.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 15th, 2012 05:00

Hi piggyrain,

I request you to send me a private message with the system service tag to check the system details and assist you further.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 19th, 2012 08:00

Hi piggyrain,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my private message. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

21 Posts

November 27th, 2012 06:00

Piggyrain, I am afraid you may be doomed.  Following DELL very own maintenance tool advice to upgrade to BIOS A08, it completely screwed up my system which has been down for 10 days.  DELL tech support communications are a mess, they scheduled two field service calls that never materialized, they sent me a recovery USB flash drive that never worked, last they sent me a recovery DVD to a wrong address which Fedex could never deliver so, anyway, I am still stranded.  Just warning anyone here to not buy a 2710 One, it does not worse the trouble.

January 4th, 2013 14:00

Doomed may be right :( My dell support nearly insisted that i install the A09 bios update...so i did..from A06, and now my computer will not boot past the POST...as soon as windows starts i get a BSOD and the computer immediately reboots b4 i can get any info from the bsod...

startup repair does nothing...and the only option from the windows disk is to do a complete reinstall ... losing all files in the process...

i am not a happy camper... but will gladly take any advice from anyone...i am getting the new RAID bios options...but none of my hard drives is configured for raid...i have restored the bios to system defaults...but the problem isn't really the bios...it is windows :( PLEASE HELP i need my computer !!

1 Message

January 12th, 2013 15:00

I just had this same problem occur with my XPS 2710. The support team had me try some other things in an attempt to fix the problem without my having to lose my files without success. I told the technician about this post and we tried it and it worked. The technician also had me disable acceleration under Intel Rapid Storage option Accelerate. I'm back online. Thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread. It was a big help to me.

May 19th, 2013 09:00

Same issue for my XPS 2710 (A11 update) - Doug's post was the fix!

Tapping F2 to get into the bios, F9 to restore defaults, and F10 to save and restart.

No Events found!