Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2006 15:00

Power problem with fan noise

Upon turning on my Dimension 8400, the fan runs at an extremely noisy level and the system does not turn on. Any ideas how to solve this? Is the power supply a problem?

August 7th, 2006 20:00

Sorry, I forgot: the power led is amber static (not blinking).

5.8K Posts

What color is the power light on the front?

How about the diagnostic lights?

Peter

I have exactly the same problem since yesterday. I followed the troubleshooting procedure:

1) unplugged the optical drives and hard drive power cables and tried to boot.
2) unplugged the extension cards (video, NIC, Modem) and tried to boot.
3) unplugged all memory DIMMs and tried to boot.
4) reseated the 24 pins and the 4 pins power cables from the PSU to the mother board and tried to boot.

I always got the same problem: no video, no POST beeps, no diagnostic LEDs (all of them are off).

I tried for 4 hours today to find an answer from Dell and, finally, they said the PC warranty is expired (which is true) and provided me with a local phone number (Managua, Nicaragua). I took my dimension 8400 to the technician a few hours ago and I am waiting for their diagnostic.

I am not satisfied with Dell support, it seems it has to do with a faulty part.

5.8K Posts

Dell says that solid amber indicates a problem on the motherboard, but it sounds like you already tried their suggestions. I would suspect the power supply.

Peter

From Dell:

# If the power light is steady amber, a device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.

* Remove and then reinstall the memory modules.

* Remove and then reinstall any cards.

* Remove and then reinstall the graphics card, if applicable.

We are having the same problem. Let's consolidate and see whant we can get from Dell.

August 8th, 2006 23:00

My local tech called me a few minutes ago and said she cleaned all the case interior (including PSU, slots, etc.) and the PC booted right then. :smileyhappy:

August 9th, 2006 20:00

I went to pick up my Dim 8400 from the local tech support. They tested the PC at their premises and it worked.

When I came home and installed it, well, it didn't work and showed the same problem.

Lost, I tried giving the case a light bump (believe it or not, it worked), and I was working for an hour or two.

But when I turned it off and tried to boot it several minutes after, the problem was there. I opened the case and checked all peripheral and cables are inserted properly... when I touched the processor heat sink it worked.

I think the problem has to do with the heat sink or the processor connection. I already bought the mother board and the power supply but I will get them 3 weeks from now (a friend is coming from USA to Nicaragua and will bring them to me).

Can any body show me where to find instructions to uninstall / reinstall the processor?

Thanks

August 9th, 2006 21:00

Thank you very much.

I am getting the arctic silver 5.

A fool's  question: If the problem was motherboard/power supply unit, my Dim 8400 would not be working right now, no?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Sergio Torres C.

How to install the D-8400 processor,

You should replace the thermal pad/compound, between the heatsink and processor, check out the following procedures

You only need to buy a small tube of the compound.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Sergio Torres C.

You're welcome.

If either the power supply or the motherboard failed, your system would not work.

Bev.

October 22nd, 2006 00:00

My Dimension 8400 is back, up and running!
Dell's local technicians changed the mother board and the power supply.
But I have a new problem: my dvd burner refuse to play right the dvds. It plays, but like in slow motion (including sound). Whenever I try to play a dvd an error message appears in the system events log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Cdrom
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11
Date: 10/21/2006
Time: 6:40:50 PM
User: N/A
Computer: THEMOTHER
Description:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0.

Microsoft says "This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive to the computer."

Before getting a new cable I would like to hear from you guys.

When I received back my PC I checked the BIOS and it was back to version 01. I downloaded and installed version 09. What calls my attention is that the SATA configuration is set to "Combination", I would swear it was set to "RAID/ATA". Could this be the problem?

Thanks,

3 Posts

October 31st, 2010 09:00

I am having a problem with my dell pentium 4.

There was a storm this morning in my area. When i woke up i saw that my cpu was off, which is not expected because i have a brand new Battery Backup UPS.

First time i ever encountered this problem. I took out all the parts, cards, RAM & cables, and tried but still the cpu MOBO jus lights up, no fan works.

I manually powered the PSU by bridging the wires, and the PSU worked fine.

Then i removed my CMOS battery and there.... i got the CPU to power on but there is no display on the monitor.....no lights at the front light up.....no diagnostics lights work.......

I even tried removing the P4 connector that connects the power for the MOBO, but still......

when i reconnect the CMOS battery the system just remains dead....meaning that the MOBO jus lights up....no fan power or anything......

can anyone help me.....

thanks in advance

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 31st, 2010 13:00

daren226

What is the computer model and the version of windows installed?

Bev.

3 Posts

November 1st, 2010 06:00

It is a Dimension 4600 running windows 7.

thx.

No Events found!