Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2013 10:00

Precision 690 power button slipped into front of case

Have a Precision 690 where the power button has slipped out of the housing on the front panel, and it's floating around loose in there.  I cannot figure out how to remove the front silver panel so I can get under neath it.  It looks like I have to deconstruct the entire machine, to get to one screw that's holding the silver faceplate on?

Anyone have any tips, or links to a Service Manual for this beast?

thanks,

barb

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 25th, 2013 13:00

See if this thread offers any help with the panels.

1 Message

July 16th, 2015 09:00

We had the same problem this morning.  The actual button is just a plastic piece that pushes a micro switch to power on the machine.  I removed the three screws from the open side of the case that held one side of the silver panel.  I was able to pry the silver panel out far enough for the "broken" plastic button to fall out.  There is a plastic cover which is glued on the front that surrounds the USB ports, headphone and microphone jacks.  I took the plate off (it is only glued on) drilled a hole large enough for a pencil to pass through in front of the actual micro switch and put the cover back on.  Total repair time was less that 1/2 hour.  We use a number 2 pencil with eraser, pass the eraser end through the hole to lightly press the micro switch and it works like a charm.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 16th, 2015 15:00

You have to take the side panel off. Then there is a lever you lift to slide the silver panel up and off.  The control panel is inside not behind the silver panel.

The silver cover is the first step.  2ND you slide the blue on the side down and remove the black faceplate.

IF however the drives are oriented to lay flat like a desktop then there is a long plastic knife at the top that must be pulled to release the drives going in 90 degrees the other way. 

The alternate mounting has a different faceplate and drive mount locking.

No Events found!