Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2014 00:00

Precison T7500 Post problem

My T7500 developed a peculiar fault of getting stuck in a POST loop for the time being at restarts only.

At restart the machine seems to pass the initial post fine (3,4 are lit and then turned off) but it seems as if reset is pulled on the processors and sometimes the machine powers off entirely when it attempts to proceed to the next sage in the POST process (perhaps waking the screen to display BIOS load splash). The machine seem to get into a loop repeating this behavior.

So far the issue has not occurred if the machine has been off even just for a few minutes. Once it gets past the stage where display is woken, everything seems to run smoothly and memcheck reports no problems.

November 4th, 2014 09:00

I have this same exact problem!!!! Crazy!! 

Did you figure out how to fix it? 

November 5th, 2014 05:00

Yeah I tried all the possible trouble shooting methods too.... I think my issue developed over time and suddenly came into effect when I rebooted it after 1-2 months. (I barely turn it off)...

Now all it does is go 2...34...2....34.... and then reboots... goes for around 10-15 times then maybe it powers up. Even then once it went to sleep mode and then it did not wake up! 

The only other thing left to check is the power supply...? Or maybe malfunctioning boards :( 

8 Posts

November 5th, 2014 05:00

No but I have been tinkering with it...

About 5 minutes is enough after power down, no disconnect form mains is required,  to successful boot. I ran Dell diagnostics on it, both the ones that are available at 'F12' boot selection menu and the online diagnostics provided at Dell support page. Neither test battery found any faults.

The machine has no trouble waking from sleep, switching display card made no difference, clearing CMOS had no effect, I am just completely baffled. 

Its really not a big deal per say if it remains like this, but I am concerned about the prospects of the situation getting worse in a hurry.

The BIOS is A16, updated ages ago.

8 Posts

November 10th, 2014 00:00

The mother board failing, Dell online hardware tests on the motherboard fail on one of the PCI-Express Hubs. The first one but I cannot cant remember the address space exactly. The failure seems to have no impact on the performance of the system so I do not know what to think of it.

What is odd is that despite failed test the result is that the motherboard is functioning normally and only requires routine maintenance. Well if the board does not deteriorate further I am cool with it. The machine was salvaged from trash heap anyway.

No Events found!