Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2009 07:00

Problem after installing battery

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I have a Dimensions 8300 and it is about 4-5 years old. I just replaced the battery because I was getting the error message at startup that the battery voltage was low. I purchased the same number battery CR2032 that was in the computer.

I was very careful to ground myself before starting, and used a plastic screwdriver to get the old battery out. The problem was it popped out and slipped out of my fingers and landed on the motherboard right beside the battery socket. Now the computer will not even turn on.

Did I fry the motherboard? I double checked the power connections and made sure the battery was seated properly. Anything else I need to check before replacing the motherboard and any suggestions on what MB to use?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 14th, 2009 14:00

wrig

Do either of the power supply, or the case fans on the back panel run?

Check the reading of the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, is it solid amber, blinking amber and the sequence of the diagnostic Lights on the back of the case?

The 8300 Troubleshooter and diagnostic codes are  HERE

Bev.

5 Posts

March 14th, 2009 19:00

Thanks for the reply Bev. When I pushed the power button no fans came on, and the power button LED did not light at all, no beeps either. I will have to check on the diagnostic lights on the back of the case. The computer is at work so I will check it out tomorrow. There is a small green light on the motherboard that comes on when the computer is plugged in, if that means anything.

Thanks,

Denny

5 Posts

March 15th, 2009 08:00

I checked the diagnostic lights and they do not light either. I talked with Dell tech support and she thought it sounded like the MB was damaged. She suggested replacing the MB and the power supply, I'm thinking just the motherboard. She gave me the number for Out of Warranty Repairs and Parts, I'll have to try them on monday to see how much $$ it will be. 

Thanks

Denny

5 Posts

March 15th, 2009 08:00

The diagnostic lights do not light up either. I ended up calling Dell tech support and they thought it sounded like the motherboard was damaged. She suggested replacing the motherboard and power supply, I'm thinking just the motherboard. She also gave me the number for Out of Warranty Repairs and Parts, I'll have to call them on monday to see how much they want for a motherboard replacement.

Thanks

Denny

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 15th, 2009 13:00

wrig

Denny.

Consider replacing the power supply first, because to check the motherboard, you need a 'know' working power supply.

You can buy a Dell OEM 8300 motherboard from HERE for $99.99 free S&H and 8300 compatible 250w power supply from HERE for $28.04 free S&H.

Bev.

5 Posts

March 15th, 2009 20:00

Thanks for the info, I will try that.

Have you used Ascendtech before? Just wondered if they were okay, the parts seem pretty cheap.

Thanks for your help

Denny

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 15th, 2009 21:00

wrig

Denny.

Over the years I've purchased several parts from Ascendtech and had no problems. 

Bev.

No Events found!