Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2017 02:00

Problem to Boot from external hard drive

Hello

I'm trying to boot from an external  2.5 hdd  usb3.0 on dell optiplex x330 but it does not work !

i try to boot from usb positioned on the case and also using the usb ports on the back.

The boot work only using usb keys.

On this PC there is A11 bios version.

I try to boot this hdd on Another laptop and it work.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

March 28th, 2017 13:00

Unfortunately from what I have come across the Optiplex 330 will not boot from an external USB hard drive. You can try the steps outlined here (obviously not quite the same since you did state you got a USB key working but I still think this is worth a shot) for the 980. Basically it sounds like you want to try booting the system with only the USB drive attached and slowly add in the other peripherals/use a PS2 keyboard to start (as per the post).

Best regards,

Brad

12 Posts

April 2nd, 2017 11:00

Hello :)

Thanks for the reply ;)

Afth i have solved using the tool called ; Plop boot manager, do you know it ?

without remove any usb device (keyboard and mouse) it boot my hdd 3.0, the only problem is that when i can choise from grub screen the os to boot i can't move using the usb keyborad !

To use my keyboard i think to buy this adapter (USB to PS/2) and install on my pc this:

accessories.us.dell.com/.../productdetail.aspx

you think that i will be able to use the keyboard ?

once the system is up the keyboard and mouse work properly :)

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

April 4th, 2017 09:00

Glad to hear you got this working! I have not heard/tried Plop boot manager but will try to check it out some time, thanks for the suggestion!  

I think as long as you have the Desktop version it looks like this card will allow you to add in PS/2 support, so it will definitely be worth a shot. While I can't guarantee this will fix the no keyboard issue... if it does, you should be set to get the rest of the system working with this setup.

Out of curiosity, what OS are you booting on the drive?

Best regards,

Brad   

12 Posts

April 7th, 2017 12:00

Hello :)

Here you can found some video on how let work it: www.youtube.com/results

The official page is it:www.plop.at/.../download.html ...i download the "plpbt-5.0.15.zip 2013-04-15 Plop Boot Manager 5.0.15" and add to windows boot.

----

On the drive i'm booting lubuntu 64bi on dell optiplex x330.

---

I would try to boot external hdd from pcie usb3.0,but i don't have it, i don't know if plop will allow to do it.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

April 10th, 2017 09:00

Thanks for the information!

Best regards,

Brad

No Events found!