Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2013 12:00

Problem with Studio XPS 8100 - 4 beeps PLEASE HELP!

I have never had a three-year-old desktop crap out on me before.

Machine was turned off and unplugged for six weeks. When I returned and tried to turn it on, it gives four beeps. I tried researching this by reading the manuals etc. but there is no reference to beeps in the various manuals. 

The machine does not turn on at all. I understand it is out of warranty.

This is not an inexpensive machine. 

Should I regret ever purchasing a computer from Dell and never buy one from Dell again? 

What are my options? I need to work and I need this machine fixed right away.

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 21st, 2013 17:00

When you remove the old battery and press/hold the power button, BIOS will be reset to factory default settings.

Some of those settings may not be suitable for your specific system, so you might get some error messages (eg, "Diskette drive seek error" or "No boot drive detected") after replacing the battery.

Those are simple to fix, once it boots past the 4 beep error so don't panic. Post any error messages in this thread and somebody will help...

May 23rd, 2013 18:00

Thanks, Ron. My system is now up and running.

Your instructions confirmed those of a local techie who said this:

Based on the information you have supplied, the 4 beeps code you are experiencing is usually related to a (RAM Read/Write failure Memory failure). This means that one or more of the memory modules installed in your computer has failed or has lost contact with the socket it is installed in.

If the module has not actually failed, you can try removing it from and then re-seating it back into its socket. Your computer can have up to 4 modules installed in pairs and I suggest you remove and re-seat them one at a time.

This procedure should be done with the computer turned off, unplugged and lying on its side with the access cover facing up.
I have attached a PDF file of the XPS 8100 Service Manual to this email which should help you locate and perform the procedure as I have described.

The section on the memory modules starts on page 33 of the service manual.
Studio_XPS-8100_Service_Manual.pdf Studio_XPS-8100_Service_Manual.pdf
If the removing and re-seating the memory modules does not help, then one or more of them will need to be replaced with the same type, size and speed module. Additional beep codes are listed below.

James / aka My Computer Guy

Power LED Status Beep Code Description Failure Coverage

1 Beep: BIOS ROM checksum in progress or failure. BIOS Chip System board failure, covers BIOS corruption or ROM error
2 Beeps: No RAM Detected No memory detected
3 Beeps: Chipset Error (North and South Bridge Chipset, DMA/IMR/Timer Error for Intel platform); Chipset Error System board Failure
    (Power LED Blinking Amber)
    Time-Of-Day Clock test failure. 
    Gate A20 failure
    Super I/O chip failure
    Keyboard controller test failure.
>>> 4 Beeps: RAM Read/Write failure Memory failure <<<
 5 Beeps: RTC Power Fail CMOS battery failure
 6 Beeps: Video BIOS Test Failure Video card failure
 7 Beeps: CPU Failure CPU

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 21st, 2013 12:00

4 beeps (page 33)  is a RAM read/write error.

But if it was turned off and unplugged for 6 weeks, the motherboard battery may have died and lost BIOS settings. So I'd reseat the RAM modules in their slots and then replace that battery.

Be sure to power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before opening the case, and press/hold power button for ~30 sec after removing the old battery, before installing a new  one.  (CR2032 3-volt lithium ion battery).

Edited

May 21st, 2013 13:00

Ron, your answer makes sense. I will try it and let the forum know what happens. Thank you so much.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 18:00

:emotion-21:    :emotion-21:

Who needs a local techie, when you got Dell's Community Forum?  :emotion-4:

May 24th, 2013 15:00

Ron, if Dell were smart, it would hire you as you provide enormous value to these forums.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 24th, 2013 16:00

:emotion-5:They're even smarter than you think. We work for free.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 24th, 2013 16:00

Ron, if Dell were smart, it would hire you as you provide enormous value to these forums.

Thank you for the kind words.

Wish I'd posted Osprey's response! :emotion-2:

1 Message

June 3rd, 2014 20:00

Removing and resetting the memory cards worked for me.  Thank lordy.  Didn't want to pay to repair that thing...Plus I got FILES in there, MAN!!!

Thanks for linking the service manual, too!  (Even though it was a dead link, easy enough to find it again on Google.)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 4th, 2014 12:00

Hi MilboMaggins,

That's good to hear. Now that you've gotten a reprieve, you should really back up your files!!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 6th, 2014 13:00

Hi MilboMaggins,

That's good to hear. Now that you've gotten a reprieve, you should really back up your files!!

DITTO ! 

No Events found!