Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

March 18th, 2007 01:00

Problem with ethernet connector continues

Hi. I have followed instructions regarding installing updated drivers for my ethernet connector but it remains unfixed. Even a tech did it through dell.com/remote and he couldn't get it working

I'll give a little more background and start from the beginning. I reformatted my hard drive. I reinstalled verizon dsl. That's when i noticed that something was off because it wasn't offering an ethernet connection option in the installation process - only usb. The ethernet wouldn't work at all when i tried linking the dsl modem directly with ethernet to the computer or through a lynksys router- only the usb - which I'm using now. So I called verizon and they were like, did it work in the past and I said yes. Call lynksys. So I called lynksys and they said contact verizon. Called V back and they said no, its probably a driver error. So then contacted Dell and they gave me the downloads - drivers and chipset update. This did fix two problems (a yellow on usb connection and another yellow on something else - both under "other devices" but not the ethernet connection.

Now in device manager under network adapters I have listed:

Westell wirespeed dual connect modem
Ethernet Controller - has yellow exclamation (says - This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

Thanks.

Message Edited by Danstar on 03-17-2007 09:44 PM

25 Posts

March 18th, 2007 02:00

I think I figured it out - the OS is winxp so you have to include that  in the address - seems like its working!

25 Posts

If I set the address of the driver as C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R52043, it says the specific locatiuon does not contain information about your hardware

25 Posts

Ok it worked - thank god  - so the address is

C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R52043/WINXP

ok, now on to router fun :)

25 Posts

It's this step that's not working nor making sense to me:

Verify that A: is entered in the Copy manufacturer’s files from box or use the Browse button to point to the directory the driver was extracted to. (i.e. c:\dell\drivers\….)

If you are using A: - isnt that the floppy disk drive? There is nothing in there.  If I browse to the installation directory it doesnt find what it needs. What is the specifc thing I am trying to install and can't I just set it in this step:  Click Don’t Search, I will choose the driver to install, click Next?

322 Posts

March 18th, 2007 15:00

Glad you got it fixed. If you're using a Linksys router, make sure its' firmware is updated (current) and download the LELA program from their site. Run it and it will configure you network automatically.

25 Posts

March 18th, 2007 15:00

Just to wind this up ... 

Thanks for trying to help. Everything is fine now. The lynksys router installed beautifully - it was never the issue. The issue was getting the ethernet driver updated. The important part of the whole thing (after updated chipset and downloading drivers) was indentifying the exact path of the driver/file folder from the download so the ethernet connector could update.

That path apparently must include the folder of the OS (in C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R52043 - there is a list of folders for different os's) - in my case winxp. So, in this step here:

Verify that A: is entered in the Copy manufacturer’s files from box or use the Browse

button to point to the directory the driver was extracted to. (i.e. c:\dell\drivers\….)

9.       Click OK to install the driver.

10.   Verify that Intel® PRO/100 M Network Connection or Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection is highlighted.

11.   Click Next, click Finish.

I set the path C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R52043\WINXP in that  A:  field (based on  browsing to the folder C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R52043 and noticing that there were folders in there with OS names on them - I added the exact name of the OS folder to the path) and it worked.

Anyway, all is well.

Message Edited by Danstar on 03-18-2007 12:11 PM
No Events found!