Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2002 20:00

Processor Fan Failing

The processor fan in my 3-year-old XPS-T600 appears to be failing. It's getting noisy, and the noise has an uneven sound to it, like it's varying in RPM. I supposed I could get a replacement from PC Power and Cooling, but how much of a pain would it be to replace? It appears the board would have to be unscrewed from the chassis to get at the fan. Are there instructions anywhere for doing this job?

Should I leave the case off and blow a small fan across the processor heat sink until I get a replacement?

491 Posts

November 15th, 2002 23:00

Thanks, Charger R-T. I realized after I looked at the link that it was the fan on my video card that was noisy. I haven't had this computer open before last weekend, so I don't know what I'm looking at.

Let me get this straight: The processor in this computer has no separate cooling fan? It's cooled by the case fan/shroud combination? There is a 3-pin processor fan connector on the motherboard (even designated such in the Dell book), but nothing is connected to it.

So, I suppose there's no replacing the fan on the video card? What would be a good replacement upgrade for a 32MB NVIDIA Diamond Viper 770D card? Are the new 4X AGP cards backward compatible with an older AGP port?

117 Posts

November 15th, 2002 21:00

I just got finished looking at a picture of an XPS-T600 and the guts looks like mine...

Go here: http://chargertech.tripod.com and click on the Reseat Slot 1 Processor link. From there, there will be a couple of pictures explaining that you should
"Now, you're looking for a black case that covers the processor. It looks like this..."
After that, there is a pic of the case removed and the fan and slot 1 processor... I think yours is a slot one, but anyway...

There is a small tab that is holding the fan in place... Pull it back and hold it, and grab the fan and pull it out... There will be a cord leading to an outlet on the mobo... Unplug it, and then go to CompUSA or someplace that sells computer fans and get a replacement.

Put it back in the same way you got it out, and remember to plug in the fan!

Charger

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

November 16th, 2002 00:00

nilo,

The following is from NVidia's site: "If your graphics card’s warranty has expired, you should be able to locate a third-party replacement fan online from several different vendors."

Unfortunately, they don't mention any vendors by name and I was unable to locate a vendor which listed one.

Message Edited by Denny Denham on 11-15-2002 06:59 PM

• 

25.7K Posts

February 25th, 2021 09:00

Hi there, We want to make sure your system is working fine and hence following up. Having said that, we do not want to disturb you with numerous messages. We will wait to hear from you to continue the conversation.
No Events found!