Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2015 10:00

Processor Fan Revving Problem

Hi All,

I have a Dell Inspiron 580 and the processor fan is revving up every 13 seconds or so.  It's running the whole time, but then speeds up.  Here's a video of it

Any suggestions? Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 19th, 2015 11:00

Read this. It's a Dell SupportAssist issue, not MS update issue.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 23rd, 2015 13:00

You can try disabling Dell Data Vault Services and Dell SupportAssist by unchecking their boxes on Startup tab in msconfig or on Startup tab in Task Manager, depending on version of Windows.

Reboot afterwards, and ignore the message, if you get one, about Selective Startup.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 27th, 2015 12:00

Hot off the presses...!

Dell SupportAssist Issues, applies to all models, not just Alienware...

1 Message

March 18th, 2015 08:00

My Inspiron 580 fan cycling was driving me nuts.  I had vacuumed out the case but it did not stop it.  This apparently fixed my problem and probably saved me a lot of trouble and expense.  Thanks! 

1 Message

March 20th, 2015 14:00

This worked for me. I thought my reliable Dell was a goner after this started up and a thorough cleaning out of the dust and spiderwebs out the tower did not fix it. I deleted Dell SupportAssist and SystemDetect and voila, the revving is gone. Mine was every 8 seconds. 

Yes, just started a couple days ago

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Check out the links I added to my previous post.

Makes me wonder if an MS update has something to do with this. I pinged my Dell Tech contacts to see if they can figure out what's going on...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Recent problem?

Seems to be others reporting same thing in last week, with other PC models, here, here.

I'm starting to wonder if one of last week's MS updates is causing this...??

February 16th, 2015 11:00

Great, thanks for the heads up.  I guess I'll wait and see!

1 Message

February 22nd, 2015 18:00

Ditto everything same problem, and kludged it to run at 65% with Open Hardware Monitor, but does that really SOLVE the problem?

The clink about it being a Dell SupportAssist issue repeatedly tells me "Access Denied," I "don't have permission" to view that item. Have disabled it and Dell DataVault in Services, per message in another of several threads on this.

Is 65% going to be satisfactory, do you think? Speedfan v4.41 (old?) tells me that Temp1 is 127C (261F), but not what Temp1 is.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 22nd, 2015 19:00

The link was removed after I posted it here. I've asked Dell for clarification why it was taken down. Guess we have to wait until they respond...

127ºC seems to be high so watch for signs of overheating. That said, I don't necessarily always believe the temps SpeedFan shows. It says one of the hard drives in my laptop running Win 8.1 is over 1 MILLION degrees C.  It's warm here but not that warm.  :emotion-4: 

1 Message

February 23rd, 2015 07:00

I have same issue here in a 580s. Never had the fans rev up before the last 10 days or so. Happens when watching video here too. 

I even pulled the fan and heatsink and cleaned and reseated with Arctic Silver 5 paste and still had the surging issue. Have deleted Dell Support Assist for now. We'll see how things go and let you know.

It is interesting after all this time that I had a prompt from Dell Support Assist popup and it updated. The problem occurred after that update and look to see what was going on here.

February 27th, 2015 06:00

I was having the exact same problem with my Inspiron 580.  The fan just randomly started to surge every 13 seconds.  I read the posted advice here and decided to follow it -- sort of.  I am not a computer hardware or software aficionado, so I didn't do it quite the way it was posted.  I pulled up SupportAssist in my Control Panel - Programs (uninstall) menu.  When it came up, I could see that it was recently installed or updated on 2/10/2015 which is about the time when the problem began.  I uninstalled the SupportAssist program and all of its components before rebooting.  So far, the fan surges have stopped.  I am not necessarily recommending this because I don't know what the long term implications of removing those programs are.  However, since my computer is 3.5 years old. I decided it was worth the risk.  So far, I am happy.

February 27th, 2015 07:00

Thank you, this seems to have worked!  I disabled Dell SupportAssist and it's been over 24 hours now and the fan has stopped this cycling.  I will post here again if it starts up.  Again, thank you very much!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 27th, 2015 12:00

uninstalled the SupportAssist program and all of its components before rebooting.

Well, now you'll just have to reinstall them when Dell releases an update that fixes these problems.

No Events found!