Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2010 07:00

Processor Upgrade on Studio 540

I have a Dell Studio 540 Desktop (not the slim version).  It has the Q8200 Core2Quad 2.33 processor which has 4MB L2 Cache, 1333 FSB.  I am looking to upgrade to the Q9650 Core2Quad 3.00Ghz processor which has 12MB L2 Cache, 1333 FSB.  Is this possible on this motherboard?

Since the FSB is not changing I think the Bios should recognize the new clock speed, is this correct?  Will I have any other issues with this upgrade?

Thanks for the help.

729 Posts

June 23rd, 2010 07:00

Yes the Core 2 Quad Q9650 is compatible with the Studio 540.  Dell has offered the Studio 540 with a Q9650 at one point so you should have no problems.  Just be sure you have the latest BIOS update before you upgrade.

10 Posts

July 17th, 2010 15:00

I am also looking into upgrading the Studio 540 processor from a Q8200 to a Q9650. Can anybody clarify how difficult this is to do? I have never replaced a processor before and don't want to damage the motherboard.

1.7K Posts

July 17th, 2010 19:00

HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

are your instructions for replacing the processor.  There is a link to remove your heatsink fist.  You will probably have to reuse your CPU heatsink and fan assembly since it is screwed into the motherboard versus the one that will come with the Q9650.  If you are planning to sell your Q8200, make sure you clean off the thermal compound from the top of it before removing it from the socket so you do not cause any damage.  You can clean the thermal compound off both the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink with some rubbing alcohol on a clean rag.  Arctic Silver 5 is a very popular thermal compound to use and you can find the instructions for the C2Q HERE.

The Q9650 is certainly a good processor and the best of the Quads, but most would consider it pointless to spend over $300 for it when you already have a Quad.  

1.7K Posts

July 17th, 2010 20:00

Normally that is the case.  However, you are dealing with a Dell system which is more proprietary.  The Dell heatsink and fan is screwed into the motherboard with most likely a back plate.  The heatsink and fan that comes with the Q9650 will most likely be the push pin type and won't work unless you want to remove your motherboard and get the back plate off so the push pin type connectors to the board can be used.  The screw in type is more secure anyway versus the push pins which can be difficult to work with to get them secured down.   Arctic Silver 5 is one of the best thermal compounds you can use and will be better than what is pre-applied.  

10 Posts

July 17th, 2010 20:00

Thank you for your informative reply JMICHAEL. This all sounds a lot more difficult than I expected. Can you pelase clarify this for me - "you will probably have to reuse your CPU heatsink and fan assembly since it is screwed into the motherboard versus the one that will come with the Q9650" - as I was under the impression a new Q9650 would come with the heatsink/fan unit already assembled and thermal paste pre-applied, which I could use in the Dell.

No Events found!