Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2007 22:00

Putting Dimension 8400 into a new case.

Hey all. I was wondering if it is possible to put the insides of a Dimension 8400 into a new case. I think I may have incorrectly assumed that the 8400 motherboard was a standard ATX motherboard when I ordered a new case from newegg. I am reading articles on the net now that says that Dell often has manufacturers make things differently for them to force us to use dell parts. I found this to be true for my new power supply, which thankfully by the way hasn't fried anything yet despite dells major objections to me putting in an aftermarket power supply. However, it is because of this power supply that I need a new case. I had to literally cut a hole in the current case so the power cord could plug in. I can live with it since its in the back but I would rather have a new cooler case anyway since I just upgraded to a serious video card. I also read one article on the net where a guy did successfully put the motherboard into another case but only after serious modifications. Does anyone else have any experience or insight into this? Thanks

Justin

Thanks for the quick reply! Just as I thought. Well I guess to ebay it goes then because I am not willing to put that much work into it since I am going to build my own computer in 6 months.

Justin

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

JustinHEMI05

Both Dell motherboards and cases have proprietary features. You may have problems installing Dell motherboard into a ATX case, or an ATX motherboard into an Dell case.  

The rear IO panel may not line up correctly, so you could have to modify that.  Non-Dell cases and motherboards don't have the same front panel wiring connnectors that Dell use.

Dell uses a proprietary ribbon connector to the front panel, whereas standard ATX cases use Molex style connectors, you'll have to figure out how to rewire the front control panel and USB ports, because Dell has never published the details of the pin-outs.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=130144

You will require a new CPU fan, heatsink and motherboard retention bracket, as Dell's are proprietary units.
Can a standard motherboard be installed in a Dell case, yes, it can, but it will not be easy and be prepared for a lot of aggro.

Bev.

Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 15th, 2007 23:00

JustinHEMI05

You're welcome.

Have fun building the new system.

Bev.

Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.
No Events found!