Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2013 06:00

Rear Exhaust Fan Connection

I have read so many posts on how to install  a rear exhaust fan on a Dell XPS 420 and found them extremely helpful. But!!! As I am less then a novice at computer upgrades I need to ask this STUPID question. After mounting the exhaust fan on the back of the tower where does the fan plug in to? I have seen a couple of what seems to be connectors coming from the what I can only guess is the power supply but i also see spots on the motherboard that might be the spot. I have not purchased the fan or fans that I'm going to use but already know what I plan to use, just really need to know where the plug goes. Can anyone please help so I don't pull out what little hair i have left? Oh and if there is a picture I could look at of where the fan/fans plug into that would be AWESOME!!! Thank you for any and all assistance you guys/gals can provide :emotion-15:

1.5K Posts

March 5th, 2013 07:00

I don't think your motherboard has any connectors for an additional case fan.  Most likely you would have to connect it directly to your power supply with the 4-pin if available.  Usually, only small case fans fit such as 80mm ones.  When you connect these to the power supply, they run at full speed making a lot of noise.  I tried that once and immediately pulled it out due to the noise.  Unfortunately, the larger and much more quiet 120mm fans that run a lower rpms and exhaust more air don't fit.  

7 Posts

March 6th, 2013 05:00

Thank you Kelbear1, I really appreciate the help. I did alot of research on 80mm fans and found what is described as a whisper quiet model so it's on its way :) Now if I may only ask one more questions concerning fans. I'm not sure what it's named but the fan that is in front of the heatsink I would also like to replace with one that could possibly provide a little better air flow. Is there a certain size I should be looking for? And also is there a certain connector that it must come with like the exhaust fans 4-pin? I think that once I have those new fans installed I will sleep more at peace knowing that I'm doing what i can to extend the life of my childrens computer :)

893 Posts

March 6th, 2013 09:00

@Gamera00: how wide is the mesh opening on the back panel? Can you use a ruler, preferably in metric and measure it? It seems wider than 80 mm.

7 Posts

March 6th, 2013 18:00

I couldn't measure it since I am not currently at home and don't trust the wife to get the information for me but have read many posts from other 420 owners and turns out that the 92mm will not fit, but the 80mm fits fine and does a pretty good job at moving air thru. I will maybe just replace the original fan on the front of the tower with a new one just the same model since it worked great when we first bought the computer. We have had it a long time now and only upgrades we have made are more memory and a ASUS GEFORCE GTX 650. Running like a champ and very quiet :)

893 Posts

March 6th, 2013 21:00

I used on Inspiron 570 2 additional 80 mm fans and it was OK, but the bigger the better, so I would appreciate if you would just measure you mesh from side to side - I was able to run 1 fan on 2 screws only without any vibration!

No Events found!