Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2015 17:00

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected

I have a dell XPS 8500 running Windows 8.1

I changed the boot settings in bios in order to try to get my pc to boot to my recovery dvd.  However, now every time the pc boots up I cant get my pc back into the bios screen so that I can change it to boot from my hard drive again.

I tried creating a botable memory stick as well and it did not recognize it at boot time.  I tried pressing F12 and every other F button to get my pc to goto bios but no luck.  Please help me.  

thanks

780 Posts

May 12th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching us.

You may a couple of steps to get the working properly.

• Enter BIOS, Go to "Boot" Tab , Ensure the boot mode is set to "UEFI" and secure boot is "Enabled"
  • In the same screen, You can see list of boot devices. Use the mouse and keyboard to bring "Internal HDD device" to 1st boot device.

Once that's done, Please press F10, then select "Yes" .

Computer should be rebooted normally.

Let us know incase you need any further assistance

Thank you

6 Posts

May 12th, 2015 07:00

Thanks,  i switched keyboards and then i held down f12 and was finally able to access the bios.  My next question is how do i get the pc to boot from my recovery disk.   I don't see the dvd drive listed  as a boot option.

6 Posts

May 12th, 2015 09:00

The dvd drive is accessible from windows but i don't see it listed in the bios.  I have read that their is some sort of trick to get the dvd in the bios in the newer versions but i  can't figure it out

780 Posts

May 12th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

In the F12 menu, You have two sub categories.

• UEFI
  • Legacy

There are some options listed under both these categories, Do you see the DVD listed in any of these?

And if you are able to boot into Windows, Can you check if the DVD drive is detected in "Computer"

Thank you

780 Posts

May 13th, 2015 04:00

Hi,

Try these steps

Enter BIOS

Go to BOOT TAB

Press enter on Add boot option

Next Screen type "ODD" in first Box

Press TAB insert Efi\boot\bootx64.efi in third row.

Press Tab select yes and then enter .

Press F10 to save and exit.

Go to F12 menu select ODD and continue with the OSRI.

Thank you

6 Posts

May 13th, 2015 21:00

Furthermore, the dell windows 8 recovery media disc that I was provided only contain 60MB of data so Im not sure how that can contain the entire window 8 operating system.

6 Posts

May 13th, 2015 21:00

There is no such option to add another boot option.

780 Posts

May 14th, 2015 04:00

Hi,

I doubt that's the right recovery media, 60MB is not the right size, Either the disc is corrupt or you got the wrong one.

Please send a private message with the computer's service tag, I shall check the case records and let you know how do we proceed further.

To send a private message, click on my name and click start conversation. Thank you

No Events found!