Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 10th, 2015 02:00

Recovery Disc Studio XPS 8100

Hello

My hard drive on my XPS 8100 no longer works, I had a power outage which damaged the drive. When i turn on my computer, the following error is provided :

"NO BOOT DEVICE AVAILABLE"

Tried several hardware trouble shooting tips i found online and in these forums, non worked, concluded the hard drive is toast. 

Does any one know how I can obtain the recovery discs to restore the OS and Drivers on a new hard drive? The disc i created were lost in a move. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You!

June 10th, 2015 04:00

Hello, 

Which windows is it ?

The only option would be purchase the disc (if in stock). 

The other option would be, if you have any other Dell windows disc, you can use it on your XPS as well. As the Dell discs are OEM they wouldn't require any product key and any Dell OEM disc will work on any Dell machine.

Regards

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 11th, 2015 09:00

The drive is physically bad.

No amount of reinstall will fix this.

Windows XP, VISTA, 7 are Gone and End of sales.

You would need to search on ebay for a version of windows that matches your COA sticker.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

June 11th, 2015 09:00

Sounds like a bad hard drive to me, at this stage you may want to install Windows 10 Insider Preview and use it to upgrade to Windows 10 RTM:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-10-technical-preview-iso/

On July the 31st Windows 10 RTM will be offered as a free upgrade to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 OEM customers. Microsoft's representative Gabriel Aul has stated that there will be no cutoff for Windows 10 Insiders from reaching Windows 10 RTM. Moreover you also have a Windows 7 OEM license tied to the system which was eligible for the free upgrade anyway. You can use the Windows 10 Insider as a stepping stone to reach Windows 10 RTM.

Drive wise, I recommend a SSD specifically a 250-500 GB Crucial MX200.

No Events found!