Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2008 14:00

Reinstalled Vista

I reinstalled Vista so that I could have a clean copy, minus any Dell bloatware, and I just have a few questions.

First, I have a Dell XPS 630i, with 32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium, and when I reinstalled Vista I noticed that I'm now using around 100 gigs of storage on my Hard Drive C (I have 350 gigs free of a total 450), whereas before I did the reinstall I was using a lot less storage space than that.  What gives?  When I did the Vista reinstall, it said that there would be a copy of Windows Old made that would take up space, but I used Disk cleanup and got rid of those files.  What else can I do to get rid of stuff on my hard drive?  Btw, I have very few programs installed on my hard drive now that I've done the reinstall, and when I go into My Computer and try to count up the space I've used (looking at program files, music files, documents, etc) I only count up about 30-40 gigs that I've used. Where did that other 60-70 gigs go?

Second, I think I have all my drivers updated now, but I wanted to check about the driver for my graphics card.  I have an Nvidia 9800 GT 512 mb card, and the driver that was included on my Dell disk was dated 5/5/2008.  However, I found a driver on the Nvidia site (this is the driver here:  http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_177.79.html) that is dated 7/29/2008, but when I update my driver in Device Manager it rolls me back to the older driver.  I suppose it's because the older driver is digitally signed, but the newer one isn't.  My question is, does it matter that the newer driver isn't digitally signed, especially since I got it directly from Nvidia?  I'm kind of a newb when it comes to this stuff, so that's why I ask.  ;)

Finally, after doing the reinstall of Vista, I just want to make sure that I've done everything correctly.  Is there anything major you're supposed to do after a reinstall?  Everything is working great and seems to be running smoothly (apart from the fact that a lot of my hard disk space seems to be being used for some reason), but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

289 Posts

August 23rd, 2008 16:00

Did you format the hard drive when you reinstalled? Other than that go ahead and update your graphics card driver. If you don't Windows will most likely do it for you.

6 Posts

August 23rd, 2008 17:00

No, I didn't format - just reinstalled, by following the directions that were in my XPS owner's manual.  Doh!

I think I better do it again, and this time do a format.  Anyone know where I can get good directions for doing a full format?

289 Posts

August 23rd, 2008 18:00

When you get to the section where it shows the partition there is an advancec settings tab. Click on that and it will bring you some options, one of which is to format the partition. Good luck.

209 Posts

August 25th, 2008 01:00

No need to reformat.  The Vista installer will have moved your old install to a directory on your C: drive butI forgot the name it uses.  It is obvious though when you see it.  Just delete that (assuming you don't have anything in your profile you want to keep) and you'll get a lot of space back.
No Events found!