Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2011 10:00

Reinstalling Windows 7

It appears that my hard drive on my 2 year old dell desktop is failing. If I have to install a new hard drive how do I reinstall everything, including windows, onto the new one?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 16th, 2011 13:00

It appears that my hard drive on my 2 year old dell desktop is failing. If I have to install a new hard drive how do I reinstall everything, including windows, onto the new one?

shadoe750

The procedures for a manual reinstall of windows, drivers and the applications are HERE

Note: It's always handy to include the computer model, together with the version of windows that installed, in the post.

Bev.

7 Posts

October 16th, 2011 14:00

Thank you helped alot. I have an Insprion 546 with Windows7. Had it built two years ago and had problems right away. Hard drive and memory was replaced by dell within the first months. Now it looks like I have a dead computer. I'm guessing it's the hard drive by not sure. At this point nothing shows up on the monitor when I turn on. On off button lights up but busy light below it does nothing. Had it running last nite and then it froze this morning and now nothing. Can't even get to the dell splash screen. So, out of warranty so I'll have to do some guesswork and troubleshooting. Kind of hard to troubleshoot when you can't get booted up. Will not even but up with the installation disk. Thanks again

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 16th, 2011 16:00

shadoe750

You are welcome.

Maybe the 546 Troubleshooting/ Setup guide can help:-

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insp535mt/en/setgde/F970NOD.pdf

Bev.

No Events found!