Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2009 21:00

Removed the Processor Heatsink to see the processor

Ok...so I'm under the hood of my XPS410 and i decided to take a peek at the processor.

...so i unhitch the monster heatsinc and as i swung it down and off the processor i was surprised to hear a sticky sort of release sound. I notated what looked like some sort of glue that was apparently attaching the heat sync to the processor and i immediately wonder if i just messed something up.  Now i read about thermal compound and i guess that's what the sticky stuff was. So...do i have a problem now? do i need to buy thermal compound and re apply it between the heat sync and processor?

thanks for the advice.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 12th, 2009 04:00

Yes, you need to buy some new Heatsink compound (Many techies use "Arctic Ice" brand), clean off the old heatsink compound from the top of the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink, then apply new compound using the directions that come with the heatsink compound.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 12th, 2009 13:00

Ok...so I'm under the hood of my XPS410 and i decided to take a peek at the processor.

...so i unhitch the monster heatsinc and as i swung it down and off the processor i was surprised to hear a sticky sort of release sound. I notated what looked like some sort of glue that was apparently attaching the heat sync to the processor and i immediately wonder if i just messed something up.  Now i read about thermal compound and i guess that's what the sticky stuff was. So...do i have a problem now? do i need to buy thermal compound and re apply it between the heat sync and processor?

thanks for the advice.

coleygm

Directions for cleaning and applying thermal compound, are HERE.

You need a small tube of thermal compound, this can be purchased from any computer store.

Bev.

1 Message

February 12th, 2009 14:00

The heat sink compound helps transfer the heat from the processor to the heat sink.  If you don't use it, the chances are extremely high your processor will overheat.  Yeah, I'd definitely say you "really need to".

26 Posts

February 12th, 2009 14:00

eek...kind of makes me nervous to do this.  ...do i really need to?  or is it a better safe than sorry sort of thing?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 12th, 2009 15:00

eek...kind of makes me nervous to do this.  ...do i really need to?  or is it a better safe than sorry sort of thing?

coleygm

Yes, you really need to use the thermal compound.      :emotion-17:

Bev.

4.6K Posts

February 12th, 2009 23:00

eek...kind of makes me nervous to do this.

You had no qualms taking the heatsink off the CPU in the first place, but now you're nervous about applying a small amount of new thermal paste!?

Stop worrying!  There's really nothing to it. 

Just clean off all old the old gunk first - using some IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol - which you can buy in bottles from any good chemist), on a lint-free cloth (i.e. a lens cleaner).

Then just apply a very small amount of the new paste in the middle of the CPU... or as directed in the Arctic Silver link Bev put up in her first post :emotion-5:

26 Posts

February 13th, 2009 10:00

thanks for advice...ok, you've made it sound easier than i thought.

Last question though...can i just by the Dynex Thermal Compound from my local best buy for $5  ...or do i really need to use Arctic Silver?  IE does brand really matter?

thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 13th, 2009 12:00

Keep some things in mind.

1. THermal compound is CONDUCTIVE to electricity.  If it gets underneath the cpu into the socket its shorted out forever DEAD.

2. Cleaning with alchohol needs to be done with Medical Grade stuff 90% or better.  However pouring this onto your motherboard

IS NOT a good idea.

3.  Since you dont know I wouldnt use any cleaning material.  Just put a tiny dab of compound in the center of the cpu and put

the heatsink back on.

TOO MUCH is PERMANNENTLY WORSE than not enough compound.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

thanks for advice...ok, you've made it sound easier than i thought.

Last question though...can i just by the Dynex Thermal Compound from my local best buy for $5  ...or do i really need to use Arctic Silver?  IE does brand really matter?

thanks

coleygm

Yes, the Dynex Thermal Compound can be used.

Bev.

4 Posts

Well I did exactly the same as you to get the motherboard out. As long as you have not removed the existing compound, it will be OK just to put the heatsink back on. Dell seem to applied a fairly generous ammount of this.

This is what I did and the CPU temperature is exactly the same as it was before.

Check the temperature afterwards. Mine is around 37degrees C.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 18th, 2009 09:00

Someone told me that Arctic Silver is not meant to be a permanant compound.  ...that i'll need to re-apply once a year or so.  is this true?  I was hoping that if i do this, it'll be a one time thing assuming i leave my heatsync alone.

thoughts?

coleygm

As far as I know, that is not correct.

I have a nine year old desktop running satisfactorily without the thermal compound being replaced.

Bev.

26 Posts

February 18th, 2009 09:00

Someone told me that Arctic Silver is not meant to be a permanant compound.  ...that i'll need to re-apply once a year or so.  is this true?  I was hoping that if i do this, it'll be a one time thing assuming i leave my heatsync alone.

thoughts?

799 Posts

February 18th, 2009 16:00

coleygm, As far as I know, that is not correct. I have a nine year old desktop running satisfactorily without the thermal compound being replaced. Bev.

I would agree with shesagordie. Artic Silver is permanent and will last for years, if left alone.

It does have a curing time for a few days. The instructions advise that after you apply the Artic Silver, run the system for as long as you normally would.

Then turn it off and let the system cool for at least a couple hours or overnight before turning it back on.

Use this approach for a few days, and the heating and cooling process cures the Artic Silver.

I have used Artic Silver for years after using other off brand thermal paste and Artic Silver shows a temperature reduction over the generic thermal paste.

When installing a new processor that already has the thermal paste applied, I always remove it and apply Artic Silver.

Hope this helps.

26 Posts

February 23rd, 2009 10:00

Well it's done!

I bought Arctic Silver 5 from RadioShack for $10, and used the instructions from the Arctic Silver website.

Whole thing was much easier than i thought. Used 91% Isopropyl alcohol to clean the heatsync and processer...then applied the compound as instructed. Re-attached everything and turned it back on.

Average temp on the Quad Core previous to installation was 35C ...after application, it's not averaging 28C. Granted, I'm not sure how this will fluctuate as it burns in.

thanks for all the help

799 Posts

February 23rd, 2009 11:00

Well it's done!I bought Arctic Silver 5 from RadioShack for $10, and used the instructions from the Arctic Silver website. Whole thing was much easier than i thought. Used 91% Isopropyl alcohol to clean the heatsync and processer...then applied the compound as instructed. Re-attached everything and turned it back on. Average temp on the Quad Core previous to installation was 35C ...after application, it's not averaging 28C. Granted, I'm not sure how this will fluctuate as it burns in. thanks for all the help

Hello coleygm, Glad to hear you are back up and running.

You want notice much, if any difference in the temperatures as the Artic Silver cures.

The 35C is a pretty good temperature. I doubt the 28C is achievable under normal air/fan circumstances.

My Q6600 runs in the low 40C and does quite well, although I don't do any gaming or stressing of the system.

Just some thoughts.

No Events found!