Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2011 12:00

Replaced Hard Drive, getting message "System Configuration Error"

I recently replaced the hard drive in my Dell Dimension 8300. The old drive is a 120G, 1, 8M, 7.2K, SATA Seagate-Alpine, Operating System Windows XP Service Pack 2. I replaced this drive with one that I removed from a HP Pavilion a1737c, it's a 320 GB 7.2K SATA Seagate, Operating System Vista Home Premium. I installed this drive into the 8300, did a system recovery on it back to the way it came from the factory(F11) which reformatted the drive before doing this. I had no problems with the recovery, after the recovery I tried opening Windows Vista on the 8300 and got a message stating "System Configuration Error" and the computer shut down. How do I correct this problem? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

6.4K Posts

Regrettably I need to inform you that you have both a technical and a legal problem.  The system recovery on the hard drive from the HP machine restored the drive to the configuration it had when it was delivered with the original computer from HP.  The device and main-board drivers for the HP would be very unlikely to match with the configuration of a Dell computer, which is probably why you are seeing that error.

Even if this had worked, however, you would be violating the license requirements of the Vista software package that was delivered with the HP computer.  Any OEM operating system installation is good only for the computer with which it was delivered.  It cannot be legally transferred to any other computer except one which was licensed for the same version of the operating system made by the same OEM.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

JackShack, beat me to the answer but we both said the same thing.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

You can't use the HP recovery with a Dell.  There is will be incorrect drivers to start with.  Legally, the Vista OS that was on the HP is only licensed for the HP -this is another issue.  

However, if you want to completely reformat it and install using the Dell supplied Windows XP disc and the Dell drivers and utilities disc then you should be OK.   If you don't have the Windows XP drivers and utilities disc, you can download any needed drivers from the Dell downloads for the 8300  HERE

Keep in mind the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel motherboard chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers including video, Dell sound drivers, Ethernet, etc.

6.4K Posts

Jack, only by 1 or 2 milliseconds!

6 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

No Events found!