chasethecat
1 Nickel

Reset CMOS - Keyboard unresponsive

Hi all,

First, I have an OEM Dell XPS 8500 (Mfg. Date: July 19, 2012). Specs here.

I have been having issues installing a new GPU, and after some digging around on the internet, I decided to attempt to reset my BIOS/CMOS.

First I tried to remove the CMOS battery, wait, and replace the CMOS battery. That didn't fix my original issue, so I attempted to move the jumper pins around. I made a huge mistake and don't remember what the default jumper-pin settings were. However, I tweaked it around and figured out a way to configure the pins so that the machine turns on (maybe this is the right way?).

My issue now, however, is that when the machine boots it gets past the Dell splash screen where it gives me options: "F2 Setup, F12 Boot Options". After it loads past that, my machine gets stuck on a screen:

"RTC is reset; BIOS Setup Defaults have been loaded. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility."

At this screen, my machine is completely unresponsive. Striking either F1 or F2 yields no response. My keyboard's lights are on, however I cannot dim the lights (I normally could). Another thing to note is that on the splash screen, pressing F2 or F12 also yields no response.

I am extremely frustrated, extremely upset, and am very grateful for any assistance you all can give.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
7- Thorium

RE: Reset CMOS - Keyboard unresponsive

Sounds like you have that jumper in the wrong place...

See page 129-130 in the manual for correct settngs.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
chasethecat
1 Nickel

Thanks for the quick reply. I definitely think that is a strong possibility as I messed with the jumpers and didn't remember the original (correct) settings. I will attempt this fix and get back to you in ~ 5 hours.

Hopefully this works, and if it doesn't, hopefully you have more suggestions Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

You must move jumper back to 2-3

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

chasethecat
1 Nickel

I will give this an attempt in ~ 5 hours and get back to you! Thank you for the quick reply.

0 Kudos
chasethecat
1 Nickel

Does it matter if I accidentally switched the two pins? Meaning I took the RTCRST pin and moved it to the PSWRD pin?

0 Kudos
chasethecat
1 Nickel

When I move the jumper to the original settings is there anything I should do before booting? Or should I just follow that manual?

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Just put it back on pins 2 and 3 where it belongs. Then close the case and see if it works...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
chasethecat
1 Nickel

It did not work. Same issue Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

You have jumped jumpers to places they never should have been.

You have zapped your motherboard with static electricity.

You have permanently damaged your motherboard.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos