Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2015 13:00

Restoring operating system on Dell Dimension E520

Hi - Trying to achieve a restore of my computer operating system to factory defaults using Dell PC Restore by Symantec as I'm unable to locate the Dell recovery DVD's. The recovery partition exists in Disk Management. Manual states during boot sequence to press 'CTRL' and F11. Unfortunately this does not work. What options are available to me?. Is there a utility that can be booted from CD to access the recovery partition and start the restore?

Tag: [Admin NOTE: Service tag removed per TOU policy] - Windows Vista Home Premium

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 14th, 2015 14:00

LMG09

Sorry there are no other options available, other than reinstalling Vista from a DVD.

Dell Vista OEM Reinstallation DVD's can be found for sale on eBAY, you will need the same Vista version that Dell factory installed.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdell+Windows+Vista+Home+Premium+dvd&_nkw=dell+Windows+Vista+Home+Premium+dvd&_sacat=58058

The Vista Drivers can be downloaded from Dell's Drivers and Download site

Of cause, this would be a great time to upgrade to Windows 7

Bev.

January 14th, 2015 15:00

LMG09,

A week ago, I needed to reload Win 7 Pro 64 on my Precision T5500 and I downloaded an ISO from MS. You burn the ISO on a DVD and install, using the original COA number, so of course, the version has to be the same as the original. I also called Dell Support and though the T5500 is long out of warranty, Dell sent me a re-installation disk which is the source I used. 

I don't know if Precisions are in a special category,  but the reinstallation disk was free of charge. Really fantastic support. I've seen Dell reinstallation disks sometimes very reasonably on Ebay and I think it's legal as long as you're installing the original OS version using the original  COA number.

I have an E520 also: E6700, 6GB, GT 440 ( 1GB DDR5), 2X WD 320GB, and for everyday tasks it's completely useful.  A website was designed on it, photo editing, and so on.  Well-made and quiet too.

PoultryLogistics

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 14th, 2015 17:00

Hi - Trying to achieve a restore of my computer operating system to factory defaults using Dell PC Restore by Symantec as I'm unable to locate the Dell recovery DVD's. The recovery partition exists in Disk Management. Manual states during boot sequence to press 'CTRL' and F11. Unfortunately this does not work. What options are available to me?. Is there a utility that can be booted from CD to access the recovery partition and start the restore? 

Ctrl-F11 only works with XP.  Did this system come with XP, and was later upgraded to Vista? In that case, you've permanently lost access to the PC Restore option, and you will need to do a clean install as Bev indicated.

If this system came with Vista, you need to reboot, press F8. and look on Advanced Boot Options menu for the Restore option. Read about using PC Restore with factory installed Vista here.

No Events found!