Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 6th, 2017 08:00

S2716DG & GTX-1080 only 24hz!?

I have a Dell S2716DG 27" 144hz monitor with G-Sync, connected vie a Display-Port cable to,

My main gpu (just installed yesterday) is a Seahawk GTX 1080, slotted in a x16 pcie port, with the Nvidia Control Panel installed from 378.92-desktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe.  

My secondary GPU is a MSI Radeon 6850 Cyclone in the x8 port, running AMD Catalyst Control Center 2015.0804.31.41908

My motherboard is: ASUS E6356_P6X58-E_Pro

My processor is a  i7 x990  and I've 48gb ddr3 ram, using 6, 8gb dimms

My os is:  win7 ultimate 64bit

directx11 is installed.

Phew!   ok so the problem is the only refresh rate i can set for the DELL S2716DG, when connected to the GTX 1080 is 24hz.  when i hook it to the older Radeon 6850 i can get 75hz.  this is supposed to be a 144hz monitor with gsync why is it so slow with a much much faster card like the 1080 GTX?

(Note when i had Radeon-6850-HD in pcie slot 1, i had 80hz refresh rate, which was the max the 6850 could output.  Both the 6850  and GTX-1080 were/are connected vie the same display port cable to the S2716DG on all 3 tests.)

Please help me through whatever settings or what not, i need to find click or adjust to get this thing over this measly 24hz speed.   my other older installed card in a slower slot is outputting faster then this.

UPDATE: I've found an option in the nvidia-control-panel to set the screen to 75hz, and 85hz but as soon as i set it to any value over 24, the screen goes black, and the monitor immediately goes into sleep mode.  This is still pretty bad, this is the opposite of what i bought this monitor and card for...  Please help!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 7th, 2017 11:00

one 4K UHD Monitor (3840×2160) with 10-bit 60Hz or one 5k (5120x2880) require DUAL Display port.  You cant get more than 24hz using DVI or HDMI 1.2 or VGA

4k 4:4:4 60hz  10 BIT CARD requires a Quadro

Ensure graphic card supports 5k3k: Supported cards include: NVidia Quadro series, K2200, K4200, K5200.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

April 7th, 2017 11:00

It looks like this may have been solved.  Take a look here to see if this applies to you.  

April 8th, 2017 09:00

the s2716dg only has 1 display port on the back, so SpeedStep's answer is entirely wrong.

April 8th, 2017 09:00

BeamerMT1979's answer does not seem relevant here as both my display port cords are having the same issue, and both cords permit 60hz from a 10 year older card (radeon 6850 hd).

798 Posts

April 8th, 2017 14:00

BeamerMT1979's answer does not seem relevant here as both my display port cords are having the same issue, and both cords permit 60hz from a 10 year older card (radeon 6850 hd).

If both displayport cables are the ones that came with the Dell monitor and the MSI Sea Hawk, those could still be causing the problem. 

I know the generic displayport cable that came with my MSI Sea Hawk was a bum cable, it gave me some problems right out of the box on my 34" display. I bought an Accell cable (Displayport 1.2 compliant)  and it solved all of my problems.  Can you get hold of a quality cable to try?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 11th, 2017 07:00

The spec on the 2716dg  is   27 inch, 2560x1440

Driver:R340.52 or higher

System Requirement:

Must have Display Port 1.2 certified cable directly from the GPU.

April 11th, 2017 18:00

SpeedStep wrote:

The spec on the 2716dg  is   27 inch, 2560x1440

Driver:R340.52 or higher [[[how can i even tell what Driver is installed in the firmware of this monitor??]]]

System Requirement:

Must have Display Port 1.2 certified cable directly from the GPU.

I have a Display port  1.4 certified cable directly from the Pimary display port socket on the GTX 1080 gpu,  and i still cant get more then 24hz refresh...

SpeedStep's response only repeated information I've provided already.  SpeedStep's response does not address nor fix the problem.

April 18th, 2017 10:00

Alright i fixed it myself. for those of you with a gforce / nvidia card,

in short from the nvidia control panel you have to completely disable g-sync, and then pick "fixed refresh rate"  from a drop-down box.  that allowed me to start picking refresh rates in the 100 to 120 hz  range without the monitor going into sleep mode for trying.

this is important due to my interest in using the Nvidia 3D Vision 2  glasses.   which you should go to the nvidia.com/3dupdate  site for anyway, to download a custom nvidia-control-panel better suited to alternateing 3d application images per hz refresh cycle.   g-sync does not appear in any way to be compatible at all with 3D vision glasses

April 18th, 2017 10:00

Posted by HanoverB

>If both displayport cables are the ones that came with the Dell monitor and the MSI Sea Hawk, those could still be causing the problem. 

>I know the generic displayport cable that came with my MSI Sea Hawk was a bum cable, it gave me some problems right out of the box on my 34" display. I bought an Accell cable (Displayport 1.2 compliant)  and it solved all of my problems.  Can you get hold of a quality cable to try?

To: Mr.HanoverB

I've voted your reply as 5 stars, though it wasn't the answer, just part of the answer.

While i did use the cable that came with my sea-hawk at first and DID have exactly the same issue as you,  this was not the final fix.   I had purchased a 1.4 compliant displayport cable from startech rated for 26.?? gigabits per second over 10 feet of wire. and had installed that.  Which at the higher signal frequencies of 120hz  made a notable difference in stability.

The seahawk's cable could only support 95hz without occasionally turning off and back on again every few minuets or when screen image changes were frequent such as in racing games.  

So while the cable played a role in this issue,  the real culprit was G-sync itself.  which i disabled in control panel, then found a drop box under another tab for using "fixed-refresh rate" technology rather then polling for g-sync compatibility.  

This allowed me to set higher refresh rates once selected.   After that i finally started installing my 3D Vision 2  glasses with base emitter.   and found that those need their own custom version of the Nvidia Control panel anyway.   i installed that choosing the option "preserve prior settings" rather then "clean install"   and it carried over my fixed-refresh-rate  choice from the prior nvidia ctrlPnl.   Now all is working.

798 Posts

April 18th, 2017 11:00

Glad you were able to fix your problem.  Not an easy one to diagnose since there was more than one issue you had to troubleshoot.  Good job.

I really like the SeaHawk card, the GPU temps at idle while surfing the net is 33 degrees and the fans are fairly quiet at idle.  It really shines when you push it gaming, in the cooling modified XPS 8500 case it never gets above 66-68 degrees when really pushed and this is on a 34" display at 3440 x 1440.

798 Posts

April 18th, 2017 15:00

Thinking about this a little more and it's odd that you had to turn Gysnc off to get the monitor to function at the higher resolution and to be able to see resolutions that are less than the max 144HZ your monitor is capable off.

I thought that Gysnc caps your resolution at it's maximum refresh rate and assures that the GPU and monitor are getting a synced frame to reduce tearing.   I know some gamers turn Gsync off and use a fixed refresh rate but it sounds like something is buggy in either the Nvidia software or the Seahawk drivers.   Could be a Windows problem as well trying to output to 2 monitors with different refresh rates, one with Gysnc and the other without?

Did the problem occur with just the single monitor connected to the SeaHawk?

April 18th, 2017 23:00

to HanoverB  

i've a 60hz AOC monitor with 1440x900 resolution on my "Msi Cyclone" (Radeon 6850 HD)

that graphics card was capable of running the Dell s2716dg  at 60hz.  but presently only is running the AOC. its in slot-two which is a x8 pcie slot.

The SeaHawk X GTX 1080 is only running the Dell s2716dg Presently. from my pcie x16 slot-one.

[[ I saw a benchmark guide indicate that over all its only like 6% faster to run it in a pcie slot thats faster then x16 and only for 10% of games.  and further, that a good 4% of games out there actually run slower, if they are played on this card from something better then a pcie x16 slot.  ]]

G-sync any time i turn it on traps the refresh rate at 24hz.

I vaguely, faintly remember reading something about that online, when i was at bestbuy.   something about it sets it to the lowest refresh rate possible, because G-sync is a variable refresh rate. and only updates the screen as it needs to, and with ~smart~ changes, as in it tells only the parts of the screen that have changed, to update, and the screen itself updates just thoes spots.    ~~~supposedly~~~ but i'm no expert, and i cant remember where i read that.  but it was when i was buying the s2716dg, the bestbuy clerk and i discussed it. i think i was looking up amazon reviews and it was mentioned in one of them. I vaguely recall trying to remind myself that i'd have to expect the 24hz thing, once i got all set up at home.  i just find it odd that the screen shuts off when i pick a refresh rate over 24hz,  and odd also, that there would be selection for more then 24hz while g-sync is enabled.

I have more monitors around the room i'll be hooking up now that i have the fixed refresh rate working at 120hz.  it didn't offer me a 144hz option but maybe thats cause of my cable?  dun-know.  and no i'm not looking to do a tri-view gameing display or anything like that. i use the other monitors for web browsing and chat messengers, and projects i need to return to.  so i dont need to push them very hard into the high hz range.  

maybe its just some of that strange win7 magic? +p+

No Events found!