Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

October 2nd, 2016 18:00

SD Card Reader not working XPS 8900

I have a new XPS 8900 running windows 10 home, my SD card reader stopped reading SD cards after 8 months only, I tried online support they checked and reinstalled drivers with no success and they decided to replace the hardware under warranty and guess what? no success too. So I informed  Dell and they called me from hardware department and suggested to reset the whole computer to solve the issue which sounded so stupid to me as a solution so I refused as I don't want to lose all my work and definitely all drivers and windows will automatically update and then I am back to same place. I contacted Microsoft to see if it is a Windows issue, so they upgraded windows with all drivers and still no success.

any suggestions how to solve this issue? I need to use the card reader frequently

3 Posts

October 2nd, 2016 19:00

I did, no luck, however I noticed that when I tested the reader with dell test it reads and writes and when I open the Windows Computer Management: disk Management I can see the card and its details, however it seems windows explorer can not detect it

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2016 19:00

Did you (re)install this driver?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2016 13:00

The SD card reader is a different animal from other storage type devices.  If you use the Safe Eject to remove media you may actually eject the Card Reader itself.

I would check the Device Manager in two places.  First look for properties of USB Hubs which may have an Advanced tab and select the Reset Hub button.  Secondly, set the view in Device Manager to show hidden devices.  If resetting the hub doesn't work you might uninstall all instances of the Card Reader and some my be greyed out because that device is not showing as currently installed.

I don't know where your Card Reader might be shown in Device Manger but mine in under the listing for "Memory technology devices".

Also, if you would enter "winver" in a run box and let us know what version of Win 10 you are running.  Some versions may have specific problems with certain devices.

I suppose mentioning there may be a situation with your exact media may be involved.  Have you tried cleaning it or using a new card?  Are the cards used in any other systems?

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2016 17:00

Thanks Saltgrass for the reply,

my Windows 10 version is 1607,

as for the media I tried several ones even a blank new one they are all TF cards in an adapter,

for USB hubs I didn't find any Advanced tab but rather a "Power Management tab" which is basically just to allow the computer to turn off the device to save power,

for the Hidden devices I can see one (SD/MMC USB) hidden and disconnected device showing under Disk drives along side another connected  (SD/MMC) device but wasn't able to do anything  with it.

there is one thing worth mentioning though, when I open the Computer Management --> Disk Management, I can see the SD card that is inserted with its capacity and partitioning details and I can format the disk and there was one option in the menu that is "changed drive letter and paths so I decided to select that as I don't see the drive itself in windows explorer, and when I did it showed that there was no letter assigned to it so I assigned to it a letter and it opened windows explorer immediately!

now it works perfectly

No Events found!